Coloring an Avocado soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbecca74

Reaction score
I'm wanting to try a recipe for avocado and argan soap. I love the green color but am unsure what would be a good natural colorant for such a bar?
Anyone tried this?

The pureed avocado won't make your soap green, unfortunately. Depending on the amount you'll get a tan, even a brown. IF you want a green colour, micas, and oxides are your best bet for a stable green.

The pureed avocado won't make your soap green, unfortunately. Depending on the amount you'll get a tan, even a brown. IF you want a green colour, micas, and oxides are your best bet for a stable green.

I'm wanting a stable color.. I read spirulina does not last, and even chanes color over time. I have seen beautiful colors from it.. I just want a warm, light green. I also want a very natural ingredient. I'm trying to stay away from mica's, as I don't know exactly what's in them. Not very familiar so much with the oxides...

I've heard of kelp powder as well. Not exactly the same as spirulina but both are forms of kelp/seaweed. If you keep spirulina soap out of the light it is supposed to last colored longer.

Micas are mostly (many times at least) comprised of mica, a natural "shiny" looking powder, but, for cosmetics is almost exclusively synthesized in the lab to control particle size, ect., and oxides which are also found in nature but for cosmetics are synthesized in the lab for consistency of color, purity, ect.

Oxides are often considered "nature identical" as are some micas.

I'm wanting a stable color.. I read spirulina does not last, and even chanes color over time. I have seen beautiful colors from it.. I just want a warm, light green. I also want a very natural ingredient. I'm trying to stay away from mica's, as I don't know exactly what's in them. Not very familiar so much with the oxides...

Something about the natural greens, spirulina, matcha, etc leads to them browning after exposure to the sun. It can take a little time, or it can happen quickly. Oxides are a powdered colour, lab made like galaxymlp. While oxides occur in nature, they are expensive to process and are generally contaminated with things like arsenic so labs reproduce them quite cheaply. Most fragrance oil suppliers sell your basic oxides as well. Mix well with a little oil and then add to your soap. Pretty easy and reliable.

Kelp powder stinks...I use chromium green oxide for a lovely avocado green, or if using french green clay I add in a little green oxide for a nice green. Actually either chromium or green oxide will work well. Although avocado will not color green it does not turn brown or tan in my soap. When I prepare my puree I add in some fruit fresh or citric acid and add the puree to my oils not my lye water.

Okay, here we need your definition of natural. By the definition of natural (taken from a dictionary) olive oil is NOT natural because it does not occur in nature.

So you need to decide if oxides and micas are natural to YOU. This goes for many many other ingredients as well because quite frankly natural means nothing in labeling. You may call a syndet soap natural with all it's detergents and things you can't pronounce, and it is perfectly legal.

Before anyone can tell you a good natural colorant, you need to define natural and what it means to you.

Okay, here we need your definition of natural. By the definition of natural (taken from a dictionary) olive oil is NOT natural because it does not occur in nature.

So you need to decide if oxides and micas are natural to YOU. This goes for many many other ingredients as well because quite frankly natural means nothing in labeling. You may call a syndet soap natural with all it's detergents and things you can't pronounce, and it is perfectly legal.

Before anyone can tell you a good natural colorant, you need to define natural and what it means to you.

Natural to ME, means no chemicals.

I actually started this hobby as a way to cut chemicals and preservatives out of mine, and my family's lives, in hopes of improving our health.
I was first diagnosed with Grave's Disease, and even after being stabilized, continue to have symptoms of MS, even though the Dr's are baffled, and say it's NOT... But can't tell me what it is...
So I started investigating food, first... Then led me to soap, and shampoo... And lotions...
You get the point...
Now I'm totally addicted. But I have sooo much to learn.

Last edited:
Rebecca, here's a Soap Queen post addressing natural/non-natural colorants. If your reason for wanting to use naturally occurring colorants is health, I too would just use the oxides that folks have recommended.

As they have said, although these oxides are lab produced, they are nature identical, ie; the exact same composition as those found in nature, just better because the sources for naturally mined oxides are widely and dangerously contaminated. Some sellers prefer to use non-lab produced colorants b/c of label appeal/buyer perceptions, but that does not seem to be an issue for you?

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/talk-it-out-tuesday-colorants/

Natural to ME, means no chemicals.

I actually started this hobby as a way to cut chemicals and preservatives out of mine, and my family's lives, in hopes of improving our health.
I was first diagnosed with Grave's Disease, and even after being stabilized, continue to have symptoms of MS, even though the Dr's are baffled, and say it's NOT... But can't tell me what it is...
So I started investigating food, first... Then led me to soap, and shampoo... And lotions...
You get the point...
Now I'm totally addicted. But I have sooo much to learn.
Being the chemist that I am, the whole "no chemicals" thing bothers me. Everything is a chemical. Red oxide is actually iron oxide (FeO or Fe2O3), and the color that makes spirulina green is chlorophyll, a complex organic molecule.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you are not looking for things that do not contain chemicals, you are looking for things that do not contain "lab synthesized, non-nature ocurring compounds" for example, by this definition sodium laureth sulphate is not what you are looking for. But, becasue oxides DO occur in nature, they fit this definition even if they may be lab synthesized.

Also, I can understand why you want to go more "natural". If I was diagnosed with something that doctors would be having trouble with I would do everything in my power to control what I am exposed to. I'm not trying to derail or degrade your decision. Just trying to put better words to your thoughts. Please don't take offense.

Last edited:
No offense taken... I do have difficulty "using my words"... One if my symptoms.. I'm VERY well educated, and have been a nurse for 16 years. I know exactly what I'm wanting to say... But it just never comes out, the way it's supposed to...
I would have said that I only want naturally derived "chemicals", but arsenic us "natural". But yes galaxy.. You stated correctly what my goal was to state.

Oh yeah, I always forget about arsenic. I also sometimes use urine as a natural substance example if someone is being particularly stubborn on the subject... Usually gets them quiet. Lol.

No offense taken... I do have difficulty "using my words"... One if my symptoms.. I'm VERY well educated, and have been a nurse for 16 years. I know exactly what I'm wanting to say... But it just never comes out, the way it's supposed to...
I would have said that I only want naturally derived "chemicals", but arsenic us "natural". But yes galaxy.. You stated correctly what my goal was to state.

Okay, so are you good with oxides and micas? If you are they are the easiest way to get good lasting color.

While french green clay is nice, many times it is so pale a green it does not really add color. Sage powder will make green also, just not a pretty avocado green. A little green oxide with either of the above make a nice green.

Back