Coloring Advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue1965

Reaction score
I am planning on making several batches of soap with a hanger swirl in the BB 2 lb silicone loaf mold. I would them all to look the same and be colored with light pink and grey swirls. I have electric bubblegum and black luster mica from BB. Any idea on how much I would need to use per mold for each color? I don't have grey mica so I'm hoping if I use a smaller amount of the black it will suffice.

If your batter is fairly white (lard, coconut, etc) a small amount of black mica would probably work. If you have more yellow oils (olive, for example) you might try mixing in some titanium dioxide with the black. That's what I do (though I use activated charcoal instead) and it gives me a pretty nice grey

I am planning on making several batches of soap with a hanger swirl in the BB 2 lb silicone loaf mold. I would them all to look the same and be colored with light pink and grey swirls. I have electric bubblegum and black luster mica from BB. Any idea on how much I would need to use per mold for each color? I don't have grey mica so I'm hoping if I use a smaller amount of the black it will suffice.

I mix micas with the smallest amount of oil I can, and still have it pour easily. Since you are making several batches of the same, after you split your batter for coloring add small amounts of the color and stir it in until you get the color you want. Keep track of how much batter you have for each color, and how much of the color you used. Add maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp at a time. The black should look grey if you add a smaller amount than if you were trying to get a true black. I always kind of wing it when it comes to color.

ETA: And what Black Dog said!!

Latest posts

Back