Colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhackySoaper

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my question is what colorants do I use for coloring liquid soap? I have used food grade liquid colors before with no fading or staining the wash cloth but someone told me I'm not supposed to use food colors. So what safe colorants can I use? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

If its not staining the washcloth or morphing, I don't know why you couldn't use food colors, but maybe better minds than I would know.

If I wanted yellow, I would infuse the liquid oils I was going to use with annatto seeds for a nice bright yellow. But I cant think of any other color I'd want liquid soap to be...

Hi Seawolfe, when infusing oil and adding to liquid soap does the oil separate from soap? I wondered if I could use infused natural colorants and micas added to oils to color liquid soap, Thanks so much for your reply

Hi everyone, my question is what colorants do I use for coloring liquid soap? I have used food grade liquid colors before with no fading or staining the wash cloth but someone told me I'm not supposed to use food colors. So what safe colorants can I use? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

You're on the right track with the food colors if you want to keep the soap transparent. More generally speaking, the colorants you need for that purpose are FD&C dyes, which include a variety of food colors and colors that aren't edible. For instance, Bramble Berry sells them as LabColors, which come in a variety of hues. I think there's a blending chart too.

Indigo blue would be a good colorant. I find that to be strong, so I would recommend a very small amount, like just an 1/8 to 24 0z of oil.

Latest posts

Back