Colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmarie82

Reaction score
I was just looking through some old threads about colorants and I have a question.... I pride myself on not using anything artificial to color my soap, however as I do M&P, it's very difficult to get the right color. I've read that micas are not considered to be all natural because food coloring is added to them...is this true?
Also, I've been using spices and herbs so far to color my soap and the colors are just so bland. I want to try some more exciting and colorful soaps but I also don't want to put anything artificial in them. Are the food colorings you buy in the store really artificial? Do they even work in soap?

When starting out, I really wanted to try to stay as all natural as i possibly could but a lot of M&P recipes call for dye. I really could use some advice about this. Should I offer some soaps with dye or just stick to using herbs and spices to color? I want to offer a variety of soap in unique colors but I also want to stay as natural as possible.

How about using chocolate in some form or dried ground citrus rinds? Chlorophyll? Banana and avocado. Those things add color and have wonderful nutrients too! There are so many ways to add natural color. :)

I use cocoa powder and orange peel. I use different herbs/spices but they don't give a vibrant color. I guess only dye would do that.
A few people have told me that I should expand my variety of soap and offer different kinds. I guess some people think that melt and pour soap should look a certain way? Most of it is really colorful. Mine is too dull I think.

jenmarie82 said:
I've read that micas are not considered to be all natural because food coloring is added to them...is this true?

Each Mica is different. You will need to research the individual micas you are considering - each will have a completely unique INCI. Some are 'natural', some are made with FD&C or D&C. Research is Key.

I wanted to say that I used some organic food color and it did nothing for my soaps. :cry: It was a waste of money and effort. When I want a vibrant color, I use my son's bath and body colors. When I want a more natural vibe, I either go with the natural end color, or add my foods.

jenmarie82 said:
Should I offer some soaps with dye or just stick to using herbs and spices to color? I want to offer a variety of soap in unique colors but I also want to stay as natural as possible.
The way I see it, if you offered more variety, it would appeal to more people, which would widen your customer base. :D

I am not saying to go against your principals. It is like making a product and using a scent you hate, but customers want. It is up to you and what you want. Have you seen this site? http://crafty.dyskolus.com/coloring/coloring.html

Digit

I have a question....I've been reading a lot where people infuse oil with colorants/herbs/spices...do you have to do that with M&P? I've always just added it right into the soap once it's melted but should I be adding color/spices/herbs into glycerin first and then add it to the soap?

You can buy liquid bath and body colors I imagine at any place that sells the ingredients to make soap, lotion, bath bombs, bath wash, all those things. I can't use organic food color. It doesn't work for my concoctions. Maybe regular would. I have never tried it. :)

Latest posts

Back