Colorants (plant based) flakes vs powder vs dust

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I'm wondering how fine the colourants are that you are adding. I've seen many soaps that have small specs of the plant material. IDK if this is desirable for some of you but for many of mine I want no specs. I've used a food processor to powder the flakes and pass it through a very fine strainer (tea strainer) and it still seems a little large (probably less that .5mm). I found that the processor creates a super fine dust that should be very good for colouring (will show pics soon). I got this by leaving the spout of the food processor open and putting a bag over it with a rubber band sealing it around the spout. The dust is blown up and settles in the bag. I'm guessing a little will go A LONG way.

You should be able to do this with any plant material I'm guessing like paprika and others.

Great idea. Looking forward to your pics. I would like to try it with parsley since I like the color it produces, even with specks.

Specks certainly add their own element, but it would be great to have more flexibility.

Latest posts

Back