Colorants, molds and succulents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My daughter asked me to make her succulent soaps for her outside boho wedding in Northern Az, very relaxed and wear casual clothes. She gave me artistic license, poor thing, so I played. Limited to a couple of succlents molds I decided to explore my options. Her reception is in their back yard with mexican rugs, pallets for tables, and mixed flowers and colors. SO......I"m happy with the colors, mostly clays but some other natural colors I've previously used and I'm happy with the recipe I've settled on.. olive oil, rice bran oil, soy wax, castor and 7% kokum (challenge by @earlene quite awhile back to do no more than 10 due to cost. ( Boy were you right!) and good ol goat milk LOL. Some did get ashy as I was anxious to take out of mold I think... but we decided it looks like antique cacti in the desert LOL . Stearic spots on some... I've never tried using the frosting bags before but thought why not? The batter started getting hard, so it was little challenging... I used to decorate cakes years ago, but definitely out of practice! I did have some problems with one batch that I'm not using and posted on another thread. Anyway, I'm inspired to continue to play with the colors and infusions and EOs as I was beginning to feel discouraged. Stearic spots, botchy colors and EOs disappearing into thin air are quite challenging 😢😜 I certainly lean to rustic!

Attachments

• succulents for June.jpg
    succulents for June.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 114
Very elegant, modest choice of colours, perfect for such a setting amidst nature. These mini mother-in-law's cushion cacti on top of the soaps at the back are not only super cute, but also perfectly in place for a wedding 🤣

And FWIW such a concept-driven ensemble is the ideal place to embrace some stearic spots! Even the soda ash is okay, sell it as a “nod to desert roses”!

Some did get ashy as I was anxious to take out of mold I think... but we decided it looks like antique cacti in the desert LOL . Stearic spots on some... I've never tried using the frosting bags before but thought why not? The batter started getting hard, so it was little challenging... I used to decorate cakes years ago, but definitely out of practice! I did have some problems with one batch that I'm not using and posted on another thread. Anyway, I'm inspired to continue to play with the colors and infusions and EOs as I was beginning to feel discouraged. Stearic spots, botchy colors and EOs disappearing into thin air are quite challenging 😢😜 I certainly lean to rustic!
wow, you certainly overcame a lot of obstacles, they look great.

I think they are absolutely beautiful! Really and truly, just gorgeous. Nature is perfect, though perhaps not as we imagine "perfection", and I think these are just perfect, in color and form, and I can't stop staring at them.

Gorgeous, Basil! I love them. Did you pipe the Barrel cactus or were those little embed-sized molds? If piped, what tip did you use? And I love the Moonstone Cactus soaps. So nice! I don't recall seeing a mold for Pachyphytums before. That's so cool! (My grandfather turned my grandmother's hobby of raising cactus into a business, so I was exposed to lot's of different cactus.) So I had to go searching and found some on Etsy.

Anyway, they are fabulous wedding soaps and the venue sounds quite lovely. Best wishes to your daughter on her wedding and to the mother-of-the-bride as well. When is the happy event?

These are lovely! She should love and appreciate them. Natural colorants can be a bear at times, but these all turned out so elegant.

I’ve been on a bit of a piping kick lately, and finally got succulents in hand after trying and failing quite a bit. The cake people make it look so easy!

Attachments

• 9FF5EC05-D88D-4BA0-87E1-897C23468A37.jpeg
    9FF5EC05-D88D-4BA0-87E1-897C23468A37.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 83
Very elegant, modest choice of colours, perfect for such a setting amidst nature. These mini mother-in-law's cushion cacti on top of the soaps at the back are not only super cute, but also perfectly in place for a wedding 🤣

And FWIW such a concept-driven ensemble is the ideal place to embrace some stearic spots! Even the soda ash is okay, sell it as a “nod to desert roses”!
Thank you so much @ResolvableOwl ! I tend to tackle things with ideas bouncing around and expect perfection as a result, which never happens LOL! As long as a pick imperfect themes as nature is imperfectly perfect, I may stand a chance. I'll have to tell my daughter about mini mother in law's cushion! Fortunately her future husband understands me! I appreciate your comment 😍

I think they are absolutely beautiful! Really and truly, just gorgeous. Nature is perfect, though perhaps not as we imagine "perfection", and I think these are just perfect, in color and form, and I can't stop staring at them.
You're so kind KimW, thank you. I appreciate it! My self confidence lacks self confidence lol

Gorgeous, Basil! I love them. Did you pipe the Barrel cactus or were those little embed-sized molds? If piped, what tip did you use? And I love the Moonstone Cactus soaps. So nice! I don't recall seeing a mold for Pachyphytums before. That's so cool! (My grandfather turned my grandmother's hobby of raising cactus into a business, so I was exposed to lot's of different cactus.) So I had to go searching and found some on Etsy.

Anyway, they are fabulous wedding soaps and the venue sounds quite lovely. Best wishes to your daughter on her wedding and to the mother-of-the-bride as well. When is the happy event?
Thank you so much @earlene ! That means alot! My sister also has a huge cactus garden and has taught me to appreciate. The wedding is the end of June. It's her second marriage to a really nice guy this time and her 8 yr old daughter will be a part of it. We're super happy! I used molds and only piped the fill in star tip frosting. I would like to play with that more now. I'm not the best with links, hopefully this will go through. I got all the molds on Amazon. A little bit of this and that.
Amazon.com: 5 Pack Succulent Silcone Resin Molds, Cactus Epoxy Resin Molds, 3D Flower Casting Molds for Resin Crafts DIY: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Latest posts

Back