Colorant Purchase guidance requested!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprice522

Reaction score
So, I have made stable soaps, like how they feel, (although still experimenting!)
but I want to do colors.

I need white
I need a blue (denim like preferred)
A red
A Pink
A purple
Green (more natural looking)

I don't want to do clays for color (although I will try once with this order)

I only want to buy from ONE place right now.

My choices based on location and using the acroymn list of places that sell: wholesale plus, Nature's garden, elements, rustic

The other help I need is what size to buy. I make soap as enjoyment, challenge and creativity. I make a 700g Oil recipe once a week at most. I would only use white and another color in each batch. I just don't really know how far the size options would take me. I don't want to buy so little that I am out in 3 months, but I also don't really want 3 years worth...Make sense?

What suggestions can you give me?

I purchased 2 oz sized jars of oxides from a local seller and there is a lot more in there than I thought. I used "natural" colorants at first, spices and the like, and I found it took a lot to get any kind of good color. So, I didn't expect 2 oz of oxide to last. However, for me, it does. I find myself only using between 1/8 and 1/2 tsp for a 2# batch of oils that I've divided. I don't color every batch, and only make one batch a week on average, so these will last me a long time. I hope this gives you an idea of the volume to get. I can't help you with the seller info, though.

Check out Nurture Soap Supplies. Their colors are awesome and all tested in CP. I have a bunch and never had one morph in final cure yet. There are a couple yellows that turn orange but go back to yellow.

For your white, you want to use titanium dioxide - there are different varieties; water soluble, and oil soluble. As far as vendors go, I can recommend Nurture Soap Supplies out of IN- all of her micas have been proven in cp soap. Mad Oils based out of FL also have some nice colors.

Have fun experimenting with color!

I was browsing the rusticescentuals site and found that they have pick your sample micas offer, where you can pick 12 different ones for 12$. I remember seeing a denim like blue there. Also TD, which almost everybody uses for white is reasonably priced. So may be you could try couple different shades of your color choices and see for yourself? Sample sizes last for a good number of batches and you could even try color blending.

If I had to get my colorants from just one place, it would be Nurture. She shows exactly how each colorant will look in CP and has a lot of options.

I can’t comment on any of the suppliers you have listed, however I do know that not all mica’s are created equal and there are many that aren’t suitable for CP because they tend to morph. When I was ordering, I got so involved in getting all the colors that I forgot to check…now I have to start doing M&P so I can use all these pretty morphing micas (oh shucky darn!).

I haven't done tons of color work, but have done some. I agree with the others - Nurture is a great place to get micas. The samples shown in CP on the website are a big help when trying to choose from a sea of colors. I also just ordered a few from Mad Oils, and like those too. I ordered the sample sizes. You should be able to get a few smaller batches out of each sample size to try them out and see what you like.

OHHHH People...you have made my life SOOO much harder!!!

So, I live in Indiana, about an hour drive north of Nurture (which says they do curbside pick up) While a trip down there to avoid 6.00 or so in shipping is un-realistic--I do travel to a location for work about 15 mins away from their town.

Why is this a problem??? Why is this HARD??? OHHHHH....I am so cheap--but impatient....

I do not travel down south again till the 27th of this MONTH!!!! And I will TOTALLY have time to run this errand and get an order with my schedule for the day. BUT that is more then 20 DAYS from NOW>>>> Ahhhhhh, I already have my order planned and was checking out when I realized this. What a hard decision!

Totally just did that Teresa!

I got the mystery pack, several discounted FO samples and a HUGE 4oz of the white, (cause they were out of the smaller sizes) and I do like white...

It is on the way, good thing is that I will have them quicker!

Thank you all for your help. I would have never even found this nurture place if I hadn't asked all you Wonderful People!

Another vote for Nurture Soap . . . it's pretty much one-stop shopping for colorants. If you want more matte colors go for the oxides . . . if you want some shimmer go for the micas. Their molds are really nice too and the 2lb tall skinny mold is perfect for test batches!

Totally just did that Teresa!

I got the mystery pack, several discounted FO samples and a HUGE 4oz of the white, (cause they were out of the smaller sizes) and I do like white...

It is on the way, good thing is that I will have them quicker!

Thank you all for your help. I would have never even found this nurture place if I hadn't asked all you Wonderful People!

Good choice. Just to add, I have the 2.5 loaf deluxe loaf mold and it is awesome! And, just ordering micas, I found the shipping wasn't bad.

Another vote for Nurture Soap . . . it's pretty much one-stop shopping for colorants. If you want more matte colors go for the oxides . . . if you want some shimmer go for the micas. Their molds are really nice too and the 2lb tall skinny mold is perfect for test batches!

I'm going to have to give them a try my next supply order. I've got some natural colors I'm not thrilled with and the oxides aren't my favorites, either. I'll have to try micas next. Although, it may be the colors themselves and not the oxides that I'm not happy with. I love rich, loud, in-your-face and neon-type colors: lime green, magenta, orange, orchid, fire engine & candy apple reds, cobalt and teal are all colors I really like. I got my hair done today. It's black with wild orchid (aka bright violet) highlights. Last month I had green highlights. I'd like to put some of that "wild" in the soaps.

aprice, I also live in IN - Ft. Wayne and always order by mail. She ships USPS and you will have your order quickly. Unless she is having a big sale, I usually get my orders in 2 days- Sat included.

aprice, I also live in IN - Ft. Wayne and always order by mail. She ships USPS and you will have your order quickly. Unless she is having a big sale, I usually get my orders in 2 days- Sat included.

I just got my shipping notice today. Very excited!!!

I was just thinking I need to bust my rear this weekend so I can have the house clean and have time to soap when the kids are back in school and I have my goodies...but realized I won't have to do it alone!! My husband has invited the inlaws for dinner sunday! He will be motivated to clean! Whooohooo!

I need white
I need a blue (denim like preferred)
A red
A Pink
A purple
Green (more natural looking)

White -- Titanium Dioxide
Blue -- Ultramarine Blue
Red -- Red #30 (bright), brick red oxide (darker)
Pink -- Red plus white
Purple -- Blue #1 (morphs a rich purple in CP), or Ultramarine Blue + Red #30
Green: Ultramarine Blue + Yellow #5, or Chromium Oxide green

Yellow (to mix other colors or cancel a blue overtone): Yellow #5, or Yellow Iron Oxide for a more natural, buttery tone.
Black/Darkener: Black Iron Oxide, can be used (in EXTREMELY TINY amounts) to deepen any hue.

Personally? I have all of the above, and in no case do you use that much in any given soap batch. 1/8 to 1/4 tsp PPO is the normal maximum for good color, and for the FD&C colors, usually a lot less. For black iron oxide, my usual amount is "the tip of the spoon and no more."

Most of these are available at almost any supplier.

A few notes on the colors, though, since I was being rather curt above:

Titanium Dioxide: The primary whitener used. Some people do report glycerine rivers if used in high amounts. I've seen it once or twice, but more suspect my recipe than the TD.

Ultramarine Blue, Chromium Green, Yellow Iron Oxide, Red Iron Oxide: More natural tones, although the ultramarine blue can be bright and cheerful. I love the look of the yellow and red.

Blue #1, Yellow #5, Red #30: If using the powder, only use a tiny bit (tip of the spoon territory again, and add more if you need to). Red #30 especially will make colored lather if overused. Disperse well before adding to your recipe as the powder versions can clump.

I like to get my micas from Brambleberry as they are on the west coast and I get them fast! I had to replace colors that I had always gotten from WSP but they don't carry them anymore. BB had all that I needed and more. Different names, same colors.

Back