Color Stabilizer in HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I once read in a thread here that color stabilizer worked better by adding it to the batch oils instead of the FO. Does anyone know if this also works for HP as well as CP? Just don't know if the cooking will affect it. Also, what ratio of stabilizer to FO would you use for 2.5% vanillin? For 5% vanillin? Thanks.

I don't do HP so I can't advise you on that part. I only added the vanilla stabilizer to the FO one time and it caused the FO to thicken up and turned the batter bright yellow. The yellow changed back to white in the body of the soap, but remained yellow at the top that was exposed to air while in the mold. I had to cut it off. I haven't had any problems adding it to the oils before the lye goes in. I use the vanilla stabilizer from Bitter Creek North and the recommendation is equal parts FO/stabilizer. The supplier should have the recommended usage.

I use the same vanilla stabilizer as Dibbles and I also add it directly to my oils instead of the FO and use equal parts stabilizer to FO. I've never HP'd with it, but for what it's worth, I normally soap on the warm side (110 120 degreesF) and I also encourage gel in all my soaps by insulating and placing in a warm (110F) oven, and the heat has never caused any adverse effects to the stabilizer.

IrishLass :)

I too use the same stabilizer but don’t do HP. I’ve added it to my oils and to my FO. I’ve had good outcomes with it holding off discoloration for a good length of time.

Latest posts

Back