Color questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
Hello again,
I was wondering if someone could help me with coloring questions. First, do you have favorite brands of coloring that you could point me to? Also, I read that oxides are best. Is it better to use plain oxides or buy oxides with mica mixed in. Maybe that's just a choice, but I'd like to know your opinions. Also do you have favorite brands of oxides and/or mica? I'd rather start out on the right path. so as to not waste money and time.

Also, in just browsing the web for soap molds, I see lots of fancy soap molds, but on the forum most everyone is designing their own blocks, which I would like to do too. But I see molded samples that look like parts of the design are colored with different colors. How do they do that?? Do they paint it with the coloring material?
Wouldn't that have to be dissolved in water? I'm such a beginner I have to ask the dumbest questions, but I appreciate your help!
Kathy

I prefer micas though use oxides on occasion. I really like the micas and the mold from Nurture Soap Supplies. Micas and More have nice micas as does TKB Trading. I love the silicone lined molds best.

I find that my oxides (I only have 3 or 4) bleed a lot more - create colored lather, so I really prefer micas. I don't recall ever getting a color bleed from micas, although I suppose it could happen. Activated charcoal can also bleed, but I haven't had black mica bleed.

I buy most micas from Micas & More, Nurture Soaps. I have a few from Bramble Berry, too. One of these days I plan to buy some colorants from TKB Trading, but just have not gotten around to it yet. I have a small set of mica dusters from Mad Micas, but so far that's all from them.

Molds can be a whole other sub-obsession! And the expense can rival a drug addiction if you're not careful.

I love silicone molds because it's so easy to get the soap out of the mold, but I also like wooden molds that I line with freezer paper.

So at the start, I'd suggest trying different things from your recycle bin and see what shapes you really prefer before investing hundreds of dollars in various soap molds. If there are thrift stores, Goodwill stores or Salvation Army stores near you (I don't know as I've ever seen one in Hawaii, but they must exist), look there first before buying online. Baking silicone molds work fine for soap molds. I've picked some up at Walmart for a fraction of the cost of buying the exact same thing from a soap supplier! One of my tester molds is a wooden card file box that I line with freezer paper. It cost me less than a dollar at the Goodwill and I use it pretty often. It has a lid so insulating the soap to encourage gel is a breeze.

I've only been soaping a few months. As far as the colorants go... I'd say go with micas. Like was stated earlier, oxides bleed and create colored lather. They have also been much more difficult for me to disperse well (though I do HP so it's a little different).

Ive used micas from nurture and mad micas and they are both really good. I'd also recommend buying titanium dioxide from one of those places. I've used TD from both and they are good. Initially, I purchased TD on Amazon and I spent hours trying to clean it out of the sink (and everything else). The stuff from mad micas and nurture just wipes off easy.

I use oxides and haven't had any trouble with bleeding or dispersing in my batter. I also use liquid colours. I don't have much luck with mica producing rich vibrant colours that I get with oxides and the liquid colour. Your in Hawaii, so I can't recommend suppliers.

Latest posts

Back