Color questions...need help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear

Reaction score
I have been using Wilton food gel food dye in my M&P based on a suggestion I got and for the most part, I love the results but when it dries I notice random color spots in only a few spots. I am not sure if I am not mixing enough (even though it seems it is all mixed) or is this something this type of dye does?

Next question is for a Brown...my cinnamon bun soap looks like dog poop. :oops: The color isn't deep brown enough? Can anyone recommend a good dark brown?

Thanks!!

I have that problem when I use pigments in HP soap. I never think anything of it because I swirl.

You could try coloring your soap with cinnamon powder to get an actual cinnamon look and to improve the fragrance.

I used to use these colors too (sometimes still do, but not often). I never had a problem with spotting. I have to tell ya, though, I'm not exactly following what you are saying. Do you mean when your soap hardens you see flecks of color in the soap? I don't really remember that happening to me, maybe you could try getting the soap a LITTLE hotter and stirring a bit more. Sounds like it would be from it not completely dissolving.
I do want to share with you why I don't like to use them anymore. They BLEED and FADE. Some as soon as they hit daylight! You can literally watch the color fade from your finished soap. It was very depressing :cry:

I tried them once and sadly, they faded horribly. Never had a spotting problem though...

For your brown. I have never been able to find a brown that didn't look ...gross.... So what I do is add a hint of red. Makes a really pretty deep brown. 3 parts brown 1 part red.

Thanks! I am going to try to add some red and see if that helps.

As far as the color spots, they seem to be worse after the soap has set. Maybe I didn't stir enough. I'm going to try again tonight and stir like crazy! :lol: Hopefully my spot problem will go away!

I thought you weren't supposed to use food colors? Or was that just for selling? To make your brown darker add a bit of black.

pepperi27 said:
I thought you weren't supposed to use food colors? Or was that just for selling? To make your brown darker add a bit of black.

Hummm, have not heard that one, or can't remember if I did.
You are not supposed to your crayons, except for personal use. If a kid
can eat a Crayola brand crayon, it should be safe to colour a wash off product, but I'm not recommending that. :lol:

Paul :wink:

Soapmaker Man said:
I then used mica's, oxides, and ultra marines. I now use Select shades sold only at Tradewinds.
I visited the Select Shades website and I'm impressed! Just one question, do you recommend them for my CP soap as, "Buy it, try it, you'll love it!" ???

For others who are interested, here's the color chart at SelectShades.com and while they don't have every possible color they do have a very broad selection.

I'm trying to figure out something at Tradewinds. They sell a "Basic 8 Select Shades Set" of either 2 oz for $26, 4 oz for $42 and 8 oz for $80, does that mean that each set contains 8 bottles of either 2, 4 or 8 oz each? (I think that's right.)

They say that 2 oz can color up to 48 lb of soap, so I get that the 2 oz set would color up to 8 * 48 = 384 lb of soap! That's pretty economical although I presume the "up to" means only the lightest shades. Even if the basic 8 set colors only 100 lb of soap that's a pretty good price!

I'm about to buy and try the 2 oz set ($26) based upon your recommendation Paul, as long as my understanding above is correct and you say "Buy it, try it, you'll love it!" :)

Lovehound said:
I'm trying to figure out something at Tradewinds. They sell a "Basic 8 Select Shades Set" of either 2 oz for $26, 4 oz for $42 and 8 oz for $80, does that mean that each set contains 8 bottles of either 2, 4 or 8 oz each? (I think that's right.)

Yes, you wil get 8 bottles, each a different shade, in the size ordered. From those shades, you can mix and match with the color charts. So far I have liked the colors I used.

Just mix the color separately, then add to soap.

Digit

I'm tipping over the edge, almost ready to order! :)

No point in not waiting til Tuesday morning now. Holiday weekend.

Paul?

Lovehound said:
I'm tipping over the edge, almost ready to order! :)

No point in not waiting til Tuesday morning now. Holiday weekend.

Paul?

So did you ever order these?

If so, what do you think of them if you've tried them?

Yeah, I used them to color one of my swirls. I can't remember the post so I'll just repost the picture here:

010_swirl_3.jpg

Not the best swirling technique but everybody liked the color. I made up too much so I'll be using the same color again soon.

I think they're pretty!

So you'd highly recommend these colors?

Still haven't bought any myself, and the choices out there seem daunting...

Only used Select Shades color system once. Not yet reached the recommending stage. No complaint after first use.

Back