Color Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chach

Reaction score
Rank beginner question regarding color of CP soaps. I have a package of liquid dyes that says it is used for soapmaking. It is from Amazon and the little vials look like food coloring you get in the market. I used one or two successfully when I made M&P. Then I moved on to CP. I sent away for a powdered dye from a popular soapmaking web site because it was called for in the project recipe the site supplied for a beginner CP project. It was fine. Then I moved into my own CP soaps and the little liquid dyes from Amazon behaved VERY oddly. In one case, I used it to tint a batch of basic 4-oil soap (scented with a fragrance from the soapmaking web site) and the originally green dye turned the soap gray and eventually seasoned to pale lavender. Similar issue with another batch where a red dye ended up turning dark purple.
Is the issue that I am suing dye that should not be used for CP soap?
Is the issue that it mixed with the scent I am using and reacted oddly?
Should I only be using powdered dyes for CP soap?
I am trying to avoid making an unscented batch to see if it is the scent that is causing the problem. I am hoping you all have some experience and wisdom to help me pinpoint the problem.
Thanks!

Most liquid dyes are for MP and will likely morph in CP. You need to use colorants specifically fro High PH soap. Reputable companies are your best bet where they test them in CP soap. Micas and more, Nurture Soap, Mad Micas, TKB Trading. I’ve not used Mad Micas but they have a good reputation too.

Back