Color question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly B

Reaction score
Yesterday I made a soap using a jade green mica. In the jar it's a bright, bright green, and I was using a bright green fragrance, so I thought a white soap with a bright green swirl would be pretty.

The swirls came out pretty nice, but for some reason, the bright jade green turned olive drab. :( It wasn't the fragrance discoloring, I don't think, since the white part of the soap is still bright white (I did not use TD). The soap has lard and tallow in it, so I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a pale green once it hardened, but not olive drab. It looks pretty, I just have other fragrances that would be better suited to that color.

Any ideas? Do colors react with the lye as well?

What color/brand is it exactly? I have a green from brambleberry that turns turns a horrible olive green when mixed in the soap but after a couple days, turns back to a beautiful green.

What color/brand is it exactly? I have a green from brambleberry that turns turns a horrible olive green when mixed in the soap but after a couple days, turns back to a beautiful green.

It's the jade green from Nurture. That's really interesting about the color change. Do you know what causes it to do that? Looking at it, I can't imagine it going back to fresh green. I love this forum. I'm learning so much!

Are there other colors that morph that way?

It's the jade green from Nurture. That's really interesting about the color change. Do you know what causes it to do that? Looking at it, I can't imagine it going back to fresh green. I love this forum. I'm learning so much!

Are there other colors that morph that way?
It may have something to do with how much mica we are using. I've came accross this problem myself. Nurture is one of those suppliers that is known for their micas and many here have made some great looking soaps with them.

I checked the reviews and some people had it turn the muddy color too but it turned back within a couple days. I don't know if its PH that causes the change but its pretty interesting to see the switch.

Thank you, everyone! I came home today after running some errands, and it was halfway bright green again. What sorcery is this?!?!? :)
I LOVE Nurture Soap. Their products and service can't be beat, so I didn't fault the mica. I actually had no idea what had happened.

So let me ask, are there any other colors that do this? In case something like this happens again.

Greens often morph like that. I know some yellows can turn orange, and then back to yellow but I haven’t personally used one that did that. For the most part if the micas are soap stable they stay true to the color in the jar.

Back