Color/Pigment Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chach

Reaction score
OK, I have been soaping for about a year. I have the basics down. I get consistent results and have enjoyed experimenting with oils/ingredients (my new favorite is coconut milk!). I am at the point where I am experimenting with pigments and color. Fun!
But...I notice some pigments color the lather a LOT. Recent batch of basic 3-oil soap colored with green chrome oxide resulted in very green lather. Is this normal? Will this effect dissipate as the soap cures?

Thanks for your response. I swirled about .1 oz green powder (dissolved in a teaspoon of the oil from the recipe) into the soap mixture just before I poured into the mold. Recipe made a generous 12 bars in a loaf mold.

I think total batch size is more important when it comes to colorants than the amount of oil, but some people do measure colorants by pound of oil, but when doing multiple colors in one soap, the per cup of soap (which is based on the total batch size, including all the ingredients already added) it is a lot easier to figure out how to measure the colorants.

For oxides Amy Warden suggests 1/4 teaspoon per cup of soap. But elsewhere I also read that bleeding colors, like red (a big bleeder in my experience) to reduce that by half.

I am wondering what the 0.1 ounce of oxide measurement you used was based on? Is that what you normally use for that batch size? And if so is it for oxides or ultramarines or for micas or for everything? If you take a look at the video below, you'll notice that for oxides you only need to use 1/4 as much as you would use if it was a mica colorant.

Here is Amy Warden's video on colorants:

Latest posts

Back