Color ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am using my new slab mold. Have always used a loaf mold up until now, so this is a new venture for me!

The FO I am going to be using is Bourbon Street by NS. I think it is a guy smell, but i am in love with it, so i think it might appeal to ladies as well.

The name and description of the FO describes it perfectly:

Bourbon Street fragrance oil is reminiscent of artists in old school jazz clubs gathering around to pontificate life, sometimes taking the stage to be the voice of reason during this remarkable change in cultural and musical evolution. Tonka bean and sandalwood, rose and Buddha wood combines in this heady fragrance to evoke visions of the beat era, the coolest era in jazz.

Its a deep sultry fragrance, and you can definitely smell the jazzy smokey bar and liquor. I hope the fragrance is as good in the cured soap as it is OOB.

So I spent the past hour doing some calculations since this is my first slab mold. I would like some opinions on colors. I want to do something like BB Brambleberry swirl (pic attached). This might be out of my swirl skill level lol, but i really like it, so i am going for it.

I just cant put together colors in my head. I dont want the main color purple like the pic. I definitely want AC in there and i have a nice gray.

So far my color line up is black, gray, and white, but i need one or two colors in there to pop.

I have a bronze mica from MM out in the mailbox waiting for me lol. Or should i go more bold with red? Maybe just a subtle red, meaning a smaller amt of red swirled in. Maybe a bit of purple in there instead of red? What colors come to mind when you envision a cool jazz bar on Bourbon Street?

I would be making more soap if i could just settle on designs and colors lol. I am not a very creative person, which is why i usually copy designs lol.

Attachments

• 957D8B4C-EEAD-422B-84E3-B364FE4C2ABA.png
    957D8B4C-EEAD-422B-84E3-B364FE4C2ABA.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Oooo sounds nice. I might have to mix a few micas to get a nice blue i think. The one i really love that i have turns soap into a popsicle within seconds lol.

Was maybe changing color scheme to brown, light brown, natural soap and gold. Maybe with wisps of black and gray.

uhgggg....color planning is so nerve wracking for me lol. Open to all input.

edit, also trying to avoid TD lol. Dont want my first slab mold to be blemish with specks of white

I agree that red or bright blue would go with black and white.

With grey in the mix, red might be easier since you don't have to worry about making the blue bright enough and the grey light enough to pop against each other.

Gold mica for sure would look great, too; silver could work if it doesn't blend into the grey. Purple or yellow would also pop, but they don't remind me of a jazz club somehow.

Can't wait to see the pics!

My friend said to do Bourbon Street New Orleans theme...purple, gold. But i dont want it to look festive like mardi gras :/

My sister said marble or granite

i think im gonna go with different shades of brown and the discoloring fo to tan as the base color, as @dibbles reminded me, and a little black and wisps of gold.

Brown scares me though. I have yet to make a soap that i was happy with the brown lol.

Wish me luck!!

Brown can be nice if its done right. This is my last brown soap, used oxide. It has a bit of a red undertone which I really like.
If I need a deeper brown, I add some black oxide.
Used a tiny bit in the base for a light tint since my base recipe is quite white.

I keep meaning to do a granite or wood pour with it. Someday I suppose

Attachments

• 20201026_074924.jpg
    20201026_074924.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 28
@AliOop Aww thank you. Didnt take your advice on the size of the recipe and did some stupid on my own calculation lol. The bar size might be ok i think. We will see with the cut. It seems somewhere between the two soap pics you showed me. Which might be ok lol. But i thought it was gonna fill to the top (My calculation lol)

The nice things about that mold is that the bar size works, no matter whether you fill it slightly, or fill it full. The colors looks great, and I'm sure it smells great, too!

I love your colors!! I have this FO as well but haven't soaped with it yet - but that's what I was thinking - warm browns and golds with maybe a white swirl with Sparkle Plenty!!
BTW, this is from someone who bar-hopped on Bourbon Street in my misspent youth, lol! Now I'm a Krewe member (meaning I'm one of those people on the Mardi Gras floats who throw you beads and stuff) and I totally agree that this is NOT a Mardi Gras scent. :)

Back