Color Conundrum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to make a police soap, like back the blue, or thin blue line concept. I received a sample of Indigo Girls from Mad Micas, and thought this looked the perfect shade of blue, however it turned gray. I made this soap Sunday morning and just cut now.

I used charcoal for the black swirl. And the fragrance is Downpour by elements

Did i need more blue? Or do some colors just do this morph?

Attachments

• 7552C78E-F7A3-4762-A658-69D6F6614226.jpeg
    7552C78E-F7A3-4762-A658-69D6F6614226.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 1811ED61-C64A-410A-BD0E-CC8E5E90A59C.jpeg
    1811ED61-C64A-410A-BD0E-CC8E5E90A59C.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 30
I agree that you probably just didn't use enough. I think they say you can even use up to 2 tsp ppo, which I find overkill... I tend to use around 1 tsp as well...but I go all over the board depending on the intensity I want for a particular color.

I think it's partly the FO, though your pigmentation also looks very light. They note on their website that it causes slight discoloration to mauve. It would certainly add some dustiness, and if the mauve has any orange, it may gray out the blue completely since they are on opposite sides of the color wheel.

I think what everyone said played a factor. I have used that blue and to me its kinda a muted(pulled toward grey) darkish blue and in combination with the discoloring fo chosen would look more grey.

I wonder if a blue like this mixed in with indigo girls would make it a bit more vibrant but not too in your face. In the reviews, someone posted a pic of their soap that showed what color blue it turned out.

FWIW...I am a big user of pigments over micas when I have the chance. It's more economical, and the colors are generally really vibrant (you have to be careful not to use a heavy hand or you can have colored lather). Ultramarine blue is spectacular in CP soap. I'll see if I can find an old pic I linked on the forum.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-recent-non-failures.71528/#post-719424
The ultramarine one is the blue frosting...not the blue layered one. That one with the blue frosting, yellow and red swirl are all pigments: Iron oxides, and ultramarine blue.

I agree with @Megan ! Attached are some examples of the ultramarine blue...so vibrant and you use so little. Much cheaper than mica, too.....

Attachments

• blues.jpg.png
    blues.jpg.png
    568.4 KB · Views: 15
  • blue salt soaps.jpg.png
    blue salt soaps.jpg.png
    761.3 KB · Views: 12
  • FM before swirl.png
    FM before swirl.png
    636.9 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back