Quantcast

Color Conundrum

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make a police soap, like back the blue, or thin blue line concept. I received a sample of Indigo Girls from Mad Micas, and thought this looked the perfect shade of blue, however it turned gray. I made this soap Sunday morning and just cut now.

I used charcoal for the black swirl. And the fragrance is Downpour by elements

Did i need more blue? Or do some colors just do this morph?

Attachments

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
How much did you use. I use 1 tsp per pound or so. I’ve not used that color specifically. I’m thinking you didn’t use enough.

Megan

Reaction score
I agree that you probably just didn't use enough. I think they say you can even use up to 2 tsp ppo, which I find overkill... I tend to use around 1 tsp as well...but I go all over the board depending on the intensity I want for a particular color.

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's partly the FO, though your pigmentation also looks very light. They note on their website that it causes slight discoloration to mauve. It would certainly add some dustiness, and if the mauve has any orange, it may gray out the blue completely since they are on opposite sides of the color wheel.

Ant

Reaction score
I think what everyone said played a factor. I have used that blue and to me its kinda a muted(pulled toward grey) darkish blue and in combination with the discoloring fo chosen would look more grey.

I wonder if a blue like this mixed in with indigo girls would make it a bit more vibrant but not too in your face. In the reviews, someone posted a pic of their soap that showed what color blue it turned out.

Megan

Reaction score
FWIW...I am a big user of pigments over micas when I have the chance. It's more economical, and the colors are generally really vibrant (you have to be careful not to use a heavy hand or you can have colored lather). Ultramarine blue is spectacular in CP soap. I'll see if I can find an old pic I linked on the forum.

The ultramarine one is the blue frosting...not the blue layered one. That one with the blue frosting, yellow and red swirl are all pigments: Iron oxides, and ultramarine blue.