color changes.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduka

Reaction score
pls somebody help. i made transparent bar soap with soy oil. it changes color to black with unpleasant smell on transportation to my customers hence they reject it. what do i do or add to remove or prevent this? urgent reply pls. thanks

Instead of using 6drums of palm oil in my normal recipe, I now used 5drums of palm oil and 1drum of soya oil. I suspect this is soya oil color reversion, so what do I do?

I'm in the United States, a "drum' is 55 gallons or 208.198 Liters.

I haven't used Soy Oil myself, but from what I am reading so far is there is a recommended usage rate of 10% and that you should use ROE (rosemary oleoresin).

But honestly, if the Soy Oil is turning your soap black and rancid, then you have really bad oil.

urgent reply pls.
Fortune Teller.png
I'm sorry, I'm not a mind reader. LOL
There are any number of members who would be happy to help you, but first, please take a moment to go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself, especially your Soapmaking experience and anything else you care to share. This will make it easier for us to help you.

Next, as others have asked, we need to see the formula you are using. It's best to post it as a link to the recipe or a SoapCalc printout so we can best diagnose it.
i made transparent bar soap with soy oil.
Transparent soaps bars involve a rather complicated technique. So we will need to know your process too.
Are you making transparent soap from scratch or from a base, i.e., "Melt & Pour"?
Is the soy oil hard or liquid? Where did you purchase it? Since that seems to be the main issue, have you contacted the supplier about the problem? That would be my first piece of advice.

Last edited:
I'm in the United States, a "drum' is 55 gallons or 208.198 Liters.

I haven't used Soy Oil myself, but from what I am reading so far is there is a recommended usage rate of 10% and that you should use ROE (rosemary oleoresin).

But honestly, if the Soy Oil is turning your soap black and rancid, then you have really bad oil.
Thanks . This was very helpful

Ok. If I use my normal recipe of 6drums 6*200litres) of palm oil I do not have the problem ie I get transparent bar soap (stable and good) but if I mix palm oil to soya oil in the ratio of 5:1 , the bar soap goes dark on storage and long distance delivery. I suspect oxidative color reversion due to the soya oil. My question was , what do I do to stop this oxidative color reversion during or after the soap making process. Any more additives for this prevention? Thanks to TheGecko

Back