Color and TD question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
​I've been told that I can add color and/or TD directly to oils before adding the lye water. However, let's say that I want a solid color... do I need to add TD to make the oils white THEN add the color of choice or can I skip the TD and just add the color I want to the oils? Will going the TD + color route make the color more vibrant or will it simply not matter?

Thanks.​

No, you do not have to add TD before the colors.

If you do add TD with your color you will get pastels.

I've got nothing useful to add, but wanted to say thanks for asking the question because I wondered, myself (and just got my first order of TD in the mail today).

Not sure if you are planning on dissolving your td before adding to your batch oils. TD very seldom completely dissolves completely so if added to your batch oils you will have td specks in your soap, and usually a lot of them. So dissolve your td in oil, or water depending on whether you have oil or water td. Glycerin can also be used as the solvent

Thanks for all the replies. I have a TD that's both water and oil soluble and when I use it I always mix it with boiling distilled water.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a TD that's both water and oil soluble and when I use it I always mix it with boiling distilled water.

Sorry, but I feel compelled to make a warning about boiling distilled water anytime I hear "boiling" and "distilled water" in the same sentence: Never boil distilled water in the microwave. It can superheat (e.g. heat to boiling point without actually boiling) and then explode when you move your container.

:)

YOu know, I have never messed with TD just bc of all the speck problems I hear about, sounds like you have some good suggestions, I may try it some time! :)

I always add my color after light trace. Not right or wrong, just how I've always done it.
I was trying to achieve a sky blue color and added td to blue and got the perfect color.

For solid colored soap I just add my colorants to my oils before my lye. If it needs a bit more I just mix it in at emulsion. Otherwise, I generally mix my mica with a bit of the oil from my recipe in separate cups and then pour my emulsified soap batter in and stir well then hit it quickly with my SB.

To follow up, I made a couple of batches this weekend and for one I added mica to the oil before the lye water. This worked perfectly. Thanks again to everyone and their replies.

When using TD I always make a slurry (mines water soluble) and then I mix it again with my mini blender just before adding it because it can still clump. Also I use a small sieve when putting it into my batter....it seems to help with clumping

Back