Coloidal oats question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesavonvert

Reaction score
Can I use this product as coloidal oats in my soap batter

Attachments

• FAAE89C4-BD36-4933-9822-5B9DFEAF74E6.jpeg
    FAAE89C4-BD36-4933-9822-5B9DFEAF74E6.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 19
Just an FYI: "Colloidal" Oats are processed to stay suspended in bath water and they tend to be more expensive than regular ole Quaker Oats (ground up), baby cereal or oat flour (my fave) that is readily available at your local grocery store. :thumbs: ;)

want the soothing effect, then true colloidal oats are the ticket for me.

That reminds me of a story about @Bunny who shared her Honey Oatmeal Castile HP soap recipe with the group. She made it for her 3-year old grandson who had eczema. That was before the arrival of colloidal oatmeal. At bath time, she added a couple of cups of oatmeal to the bath water! Very soothing. ;) :thumbs:

I bought some colloidal oats on eBay to incorporate into a lotion and to use in some tub teas. When I opened the package it sure looked like oat flour to me, not the super silky fine powder I was expecting and paid a premium for. I used it anyway and there are definitely tiny discrete bits of oats in my otherwise smooth lotion. :mad: Haven't tried the tub tea yet but I expect this stuff will settle and leave a gloopy mess. I can and will use these oats in soap, but I definitely got ripped off. I'll stick with Aveeno for leave-on products.

That reminds me of a story about @Bunny who shared her Honey Oatmeal Castile HP soap recipe with the group. She made it for her 3-year old grandson who had eczema. That was before the arrival of colloidal oatmeal. At bath time, she added a couple of cups of oatmeal to the bath water! Very soothing. ;) :thumbs:
Oatmeal is soothing when you are not allergic to it. I recommend anyone with eczema test before bathing in oatmeal. When I was a baby a doctor prescribe oat baths for me. According to my mother I almost died from the allergic reaction and to this day I can eat oatmeal but cannot bathe with it. It is a wonderful product if not allergic but I always added a caution label on my oatmeal products.

@ivylorraine I strongly advise adding organics including oats to lotions since they are quite impossible for the home artesian to properly preserve them. If you want to add in oatmeal use liquid Oatmeal extract. Oatmeal Extract - Essentials by Catalina

@ivylorraine I strongly advise adding organics including oats to lotions since they are quite impossible for the home artesian to properly preserve them. If you want to add in oatmeal use liquid Oatmeal extract. Oatmeal Extract - Essentials by Catalina

Thank you. I am not one to add organics to my lotions or creams on a whim at all, I am pro-preservation for sure. This was a good reminder to throw out the batch I inadvertently made with not-colloidal oats.

The recipe I used is from humblebeeandme.com, who I think is generally well-respected as a formulator. I will investigate general colloidal oat safety so I can know for future recipes. Thanks again for the advice.

Back