colloidial vs. regular oatmeal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selah925

Reaction score
What is the difference? Can I use either? Where can you get colloidal oatmeal from?

Also, can you use regular honey or does it have to be dry powdered honey?

Thanks!!!!!

hi,

have you tried the search function at the top right of the screen? you can usually find answers to most of your questions by doing a search.

i'd do a bit for you but i have to get to work now. give it a try. :)

hope that helps,
paula

Colloidal oatmeal is oatmeal that has been ground into powder form. It can be expensive to buy so it is best to make your own. Just toss it in the blender.
As for your question about using honey, it would depend on what your using it for.

I'm with Chay - just grind your own or - what I like to use - is baby oatmeal found in the baby food isle. It's cheap and organic.

I use a mixture of colloidal (flour) and coarse (rolled) oats in my oatmeal soap. I grind my own colloidal oats in the coffee grinder.

selah925 said:
What is the difference? Can I use either? Where can you get colloidal oatmeal from?

Also, can you use regular honey or does it have to be dry powdered honey?

Thanks!!!!!

This is just me and my sometimes nit-pickiness about the feel of certain textures, but I decided to give baby oatmeal a try after having already tried oat flour from the store (too scratchy for me in my soap), and also having tried grinding my own oats up as fine as I could get them in my electric coffee grinder (also too scratchy for me in my soap, it turns out).

Then I read about people using either baby oatmeal located down the baby aisle in the grocery store, or else colloidal oatmeal that they'd ordered online- both with very good 'no scratchy' results being reported. I personally decided to go with the baby oatmeal because it's more readily available to me than the colloidal. You can try using whichever kind you want- none of them will hurt your soap. Whichever one you choose to use in your soap, though, will all come down to your own personal tolerance level for the feel of certain textures.

As for honey, I just used regular or liquid-type of honey in a jar that I always buy from my local healthfood store for use in sweetening my tea. I've never tried the powdered stuff (yet). :)

IrishLass

It depends on whether you want it to be exfoliating or not. Most of my customers are on the fence, so I end up experimenting alot...

IrishLass said:
This is just me and my sometimes nit-pickiness about the feel of certain textures, but I decided to give baby oatmeal a try after having already tried oat flour from the store (too scratchy for me in my soap), and also having tried grinding my own oats up as fine as I could get them in my electric coffee grinder (also too scratchy for me in my soap, it turns out).

IrishLass

So the oat flour was really scratchy? I just put two ounces in a 4lb batch today. I'll have to see how it turns out. I do know DH does enjoy exfoliating soap though, so it should be ok.

ydpubs said:
So the oat flour was really scratchy? I just put two ounces in a 4lb batch today. I'll have to see how it turns out. I do know DH does enjoy exfoliating soap though, so it should be ok.

To me it was too scratchy, but that's just me. I can be very particular about the feel of certain things. For instance, I can't stand the feel of velvet when I touch it with my hands, or the spongy texture of eggplant in my mouth. Both give me the willies (shudder), so it very well may be that my idea of scratchiness could actually feel perfectly fine to you. :)

IrishLass

Back