Colloidal Silver soaps-fact or fiction, you tell me!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megalodon

Reaction score
Hi!

My boyfriends' mom gave me a bottle of colloidal silver and asked me to make it into a soap. For those of you who have never heard or used liquid silver, it CLAIMS to boost your immune system while being an anti bacterial, super fungus busting, overall health booster.

NOW, before we get any deeper into the claims of liquid silver lets get something straight.... I am by NO means a silver pusher. Personally, I am a skeptic. However, I will say that I have taken it a few times on an on set of a cold and by either luck or the silver gods, I did not get sick after taking it. Let's also not forget the news story that happened last year about a man who took so much silver over the course of a year that his skin turned blue and had a pretty serious case of silver poisoning. That being said, I started to look around on the web for silver bars and found quite a few claiming lofty, beneficial properties. Again, I take this with a grain of salt but who am I to judge since I've never tried it!

OK so now that we've got the disclaimer out of the way, has anyone ever tried one or made one? If it has been done successfully without any strange side effects, would you recommend it?

Here are my concerns: I worry about allergic reactions, it's reaction to lye, the amount of silver to actually make it a beneficial product, the amount of silver it would take to make it a dangerous product, and if it could go rancid.

I'm not particularly ready to dive into such a project, this is more of a theoretical discussion. I'd love to hear what the community has to say about this! And if you are a super silver fan, I want to hear from you!!! I'm on the fence with silver for health, convince me!

And at worst, we could use them to ward off vampires :p (True Blood fans anyone?)

Regardless of whether or not the claims are true, I think it would be wasted in a wash-off product. Better in a lotion, balm, or cream.

can't you make it into a nice necklace or earrings instead?

The antimicrobial properties of colloidal silver have been scientifically proven, but I don't really see how much effect it would have in soap. Ordinary soap has proven to be effective in removing the majority of bacteria from your skin if you use it with hot water and wash thoroughly so I think it would be a waste of silver to be honest. It would just get washed down the drain before it had chance to do anything.

Latest posts

Back