Cold sore balm?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Somebody asked me for some peppermint essential oil b/c he read it was good for cold sores. I think applying pure peppermint EO directly to the skin would be very irritating to the skin? I'm think I could blend it with something, but what? The idea is to dry out the sore, not moisturize it, so an oil might not be helpful.

You could always let them find out the hard way while not giving them the EO, if they don't listen to reason. I would use tea tree oil on a cold sore before usinf peppermint. Clove may be more effective than both but would hurt the most too.

Tell him to use tree tea oil instead. Its safe to use straight and its somewhat effective on cold sores. Peppermint isn't going to do much besides make it feel cooler. Better yet, tell him to get some abreva, its dang expensive but works really well if used early enough. It won't help on already formed sores.

Straight vitamin E. Usually my cold sores last a week, with vitamin E they last a few days

Back