Cold Process Soap Using Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbocrafter

Reaction score
I have been given some lard to make soap and was wondering if anyone had a good recipe that I could use to make some soap with lard.

Is there a consensus among the lardinators if extras (EDTA, ROE etc) are needed to help prevent DOS?

Last edited:
This is, to me at least, an appropriate place to ask the question.

I have never used any sort of preservative or antioxidant in my bar soaps, either. And I have used lard from the beginning.

I'm a lardinator,too. But at first or second try, I did not like it. And my family hate it. They claim that it leaves a film on their body. So I searched the forum, and started adding both 1% EDTA and 1% citric acid ( also extra NaOH to neutralize the citric acid; 10g citric acid needs 6g NaOH ). And now these combo really helps with our ROCK HARD water.
Your mileage might vary. ;)
ETA: I use these as chelator, and only have 1 DOS (dreaded orange spot ) now.

Last edited:
Ooh, ooh -- can I play too??? ;)

My current favorite recipe is --

Coconut Oil 15.0%
Sunflower, high oleic 25.0%
Lard 60.0%

You can substitute any combination of olive oil or avocado or any other high oleic oil for the HO sunflower. You can take a total of 5% away from the sunflower and/or the lard (whatever makes sense to you) and add 5% castor. I use 32% lye concentration, more or less, and 3% superfat. I also use 5% KOH and 95% NaOH for added lather in my high lard recipes, but you definitely don't have too -- you can add sugar or beer and get good bubbleage too.

I add ROE in my home-rendered lard when the lard is freshly rendered to ensure it has a good shelf life. I always use 0.5% tetrasodium EDTA in my soaps to increase shelf life and reduce soap scum. I have articles about using ROE and EDTA -- they're in my "soapy stuff" webpage. Click the link at the bottom of this post.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the 5% KOH and 95% NaOH. It makes awesome bubbles!

I also use only "store bought" lard, as I know no pig farmers, and I hate rendering.

Thanks for the reminders, DeeAnna!

Hubby's favorite LS is 50/50 lard & PKO. Really nice and holds scent well -- lard helps with that.

I use oakmoss absolute (10% solution in jojoba) at a rate of 0.7% (1/4-1/2 tsp) PPO to offset the odor of lard/tallow.

SHORT STORY
When I first started making soap (2004), I sent a bar of tallow soap to a high school classmate in Minneapolis. She loved the soap, but asked, "Why do I smell hamburger when I shower?" :mrgreen: Thus, the inclusion of oakmoss -- a tip from one of the early gurus of soapmaking, also a lardinator, BTW.

SHORT STORY
When I first started making soap (2004), I sent a bar of tallow soap to a high school classmate in Minneapolis. She loved the soap, but asked, "Why do I smell hamburger when I shower?" :mrgreen: Thus, the inclusion of oakmoss -- a tip from one of the early gurus of soapmaking, also a lardinator, BTW.

Oh dear, I wouldn't want to smell that! Had you rendered the lard yourself or does that scent come with store bought lard too? I think I saw a few suggestions for Armour lard so I'll try that unless it comes hamburger scented. Although I love the scent of oakmoss I wouldn't want it in every soap, and that could get costly!

Edit: oops, tallow. I was wondering why it smelled like hamburger rather than bacon. I don't know where my brain is tonight. Wouldn't want to smell bacon in the shower either.

Edit: oops, tallow. I was wondering why it smelled like hamburger rather than bacon. I don't know where my brain is tonight. Wouldn't want to smell bacon in the shower either.
ROFL. Millie, you made me laugh so hard with that one, that I almost fell off my rocking chair!
:bath1:

I've been a dedicated lardinator for over 2 years, using Armour, Farmer's John's, smart and final's 50lb box, (finished 2 of them!) and "home" rendered lard from Fannie and Flo and etsy. I've had only a few problems with dos, and a huge majority of them I know where my lazy habits during storage.

I've used Smart and Final's tallow and Fannie and Flo's tallow and can not smell a darn thing.

I've never had a bar of lard soap that I thought smelled like pig. I do smell oil or fat sometimes. BUT...I smell the same thing from my all vegetable bars! So, not sure what that's about.

Not too much

Lard can be great in soap for a few reasons. It's great at stabilizing the oil and will allow you to unmold faster but if you choose to use it at a larger quantity than 30% you will smell it in the soap. I find this very unappealing, especially for a shower/bath soap, it is an unpleasant odor.
I usually use this base recipe for my soaps and they have been wonderfully conditioning and also great for sensitive skin. This recipe will also allow for E/O's and holds the fragrance nicely.

30% Olive Oil
30% Coconut Oil
20% lard
10% Sunflower Oil (works with the coconut to create a creamy, stable lather)
5% Cocoa Butter (adds to hardness and conditioning)
5% Castor Oil (its conditioning and will help as a natural preservative)

Back