Cold Process Soap & Soapstone Counters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what other area of the forum to put this, so bear with me.

Our new counters, black soapstone, are getting installed today. This includes an under mount sink. I keep having stress dreams about what might happen with lye / hot soap (like when washing after making a batch) if it gets on the soapstone since it's an under mount sink. I know it's chemically inert in a lot of ways, but I'm concerned about etching.

So the question is, do any of you have soapstone counters? Do you have any tips/tricks regarding the lye?

We have a nice deep double sink going in, so it shouldn't be too big of an issue to wash gently and slowly to avoid any big splashes but man, I didn't know if anyone had any tips.

I love soapstone and wish we had gotten it instead of marble when we did our kitchen remodel a few years back. I bet it will be gorgeous. They use soapstone in chemistry classroom tables since it is inert - I would think you'd be okay. You might ask your installer for a leftover cut piece to use as a tester. Also, ask the supplier what they think and get tips from them on the proper maintenance.

I have marble countertops and do not worry about them with lye at all since acid is the enemy of marble, but it doesn't seem to be impacted by caustics. My marble has gotten pretty torn up in just the last few years... we have square foot sized spot where my daughter left a pumpkin out over a weekend while we were away (ignoring our request to throw it away - sigh). The acidic juice ate off the finish and etched it. At this point, I've given up and will refinish it if we ever put the house on the market.

Soapstone Installed!

The soapstone is installed (and I love it). I have to say, after reading more and then remember, like you mentioned, that it was used in chemistry classes my fear went down quite a bit. Our new sink is also super deep which means when I was even our tall pasta pot it doesn't even bang the edges of the soapstone (under mount sink). So, hopefully I'll be fine with my soap pots which aren't much taller, even the widest one! As far as the lye though, I tend to wipe it up so quickly that it shouldn't hurt anything anyway. :)

Shouldn't. Hah. We'll see!

It's funny, I've done more damage with EOs and FOs than lye at my house. They'll to terrible things to plastic and plastic-based things like contact paper.

Cold Process Soap & Soapstone Counters

There is an easy wipe on sealer for marble and granite that you can use once a year to protect your bench tops.

Do not use vinegar and bicarbonate of soda as this eats into marble and natural stone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back