Cold Process Making/Supplies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmarie82

Reaction score
I've never tried the CP before because i'm scared to handle the lye.
Plus I'd have to purchase scales and molds for CP. .... Is the lye really something I should be afraid of? Is it really hard to make CP? Are there any good videos online that i can watch to see how it's made? And where do you get all your supplies? I've also heard that it has to cure for a month?

Oh and is there any way I can make it without using a scale and just using measuring cups? Just wondered..

I don't think you need to be "afraid" of the lye, but you definitely have to respect it. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing and wear the protective gear you should be fine. As for finding supplies, there are several options - to start you can use a trash bag for the liner and a shoe box (or something similar you find around the house) for a mold. For oils, you can make a simple recipe with oils found at Wal-Mart. (I believe there is a "Wal-Mart" recipe posted here)
After you decide if you like making soap and it's something you want to continue with, there are many MANY places online that you can purchase supplies.
As for a scale, yes, you really do need a scale and not just measuring cups. You want the measurments to be as accurate as possible so you don't end up with a lye heavy batch or a batch that goes wonky for some reason. You can also find a decent digital (inexpensive) at Wal-Mart.

HTH and good luck.

Well I want to try the cold process. I'm currently making MP soaps but from what i've heard, they aren't really good for a soap business. ??

And how would i go about doing the cold process and starting a business if i have to cure it for a month? What if people want to order right away and the soap's not ready?

Do you know how much the scales are at walmart? Can I get lye there too?

I looked all over the place for a digital scale to no avail. I had to get mine from ebay, it was around $20.

The lye you may have to get online or at a mom and pop hardware store if you still have one in your area.

Do buy you a cheap pair of safety glasses. If you get the lye on your hands or arms, just swipe with vinegar.

A friend sent me this series of videos, I found most helpful:
http://www.expertvillage.com/video-seri ... -video.htm

Yes it does have to cure for a few weeks. I just sell what I have and whenever someone suggests something I say I will look into that, check back with me later because it takes a month to make. At that point people always start to ask more questions and you get to talke about your new fun hobby!!

I love that your so enthusiastic about getting into the CP soap business but you may be putting the horse before the buggy just a bit. I would recommend concentrating on the soap making end of it first. Do lots of research, obtain the needed supplies and experiment with your recipes. After you have the hang of making CP, utilize your test market (in most cases this is family, friends, and co-workers)
I know from reading some of your posts that you have experience with M&P. Start your business up with the products you already know while you work at prefecting CP. There is a market for M&P, especially if you make it fun and colorful.

Well I just feel like people are degrading the M&P. Most everything i read is putting it down because it's M&P and everyone can do it so now I feel like no one would want it because it's not special.

Plus I want to make it as natural as possible. I also want to offer "nearly natural" soap and just charge a bit less. Have you looked at my website?
www.myspace.com/soapsbyjennifer. I'm also working on another one...
www.soapsbyjennifer. Let me know what you think.

Well I just feel like people are degrading the M&P. Most everything i read is putting it down because it's M&P.

You are certainly not reading that here. A lot of *other* forums have that silly little war going on, along w/ many others. The mods at this forum don't tolerate it.

Chay is 100% right about putting the horse before the cart. You really need to do lots of research before you start selling anything. You need to read the FDA website for 1 thing. When you have gathered all the info & have found answers to all you questions, you will be ready to sell.

There is much to learn about being safe. For instance, I just noticed you add peppermint scent to your baby soap. If it's an fo, it is irritating (all fos are ) to baby skin & (all fos) can cause vaginal irritation & infections, if it's an eo it's fragrance can cause eye irritation, not just if you just get it in the eye, but if the vapors are inhaled/smelled.

The last thing you want to do is cause an irritation for more reasons than the obvious. You could be sued & loss your home/car, etc. You will want to get a biz license from your city/state, register you name, pay quarterly taxes, and get insurance too, just for starters.

Making soap is fun, selling soap is serious. I know I sound to be stern, but you have to protect yourself as well as the people who trust you & your products.

This is where I would start.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms Is It a Cosmetic, a Drug, or Both?
(or Is It Soap?)

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-lab1.htmlSummary of Regulatory Requirements for Labeling of Cosmetics Marketed in the United States.

Cosmetic Labeling Regulations as Published in Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Sections 701, 740 and Other Pertinent Sections.

Cosmetic Labeling Guide.

I like both M & P (although I've never tried it) and CP and HP. I think each method has its perks and drawbacks. I've seen some melt and pour soaps here and think they're way cool; namely Lane's .. they're simply beautiful. I believe there's a lot you can do with M & P (creativity wise .. with molds, colors, kids soaps, and the overall visual appeal, etc) that you can't do with CP or HP. I prefer CP, but I don't think it's hard at all; the lye isn't something to be afraid of, you just have to respect it. I plan on trying HP, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think you'll be surpised; I was really nervous the first time I made CP and now I actually use it as a method for winding down and relaxing at night after the kids go to bed. It's not hard to learn any craft .. it's difficult perfecting it .. it doesn't matter whether it's M & P, CP, HP, or rebatching.

I don't put peppermint in my baby soap, never have. I have tried some with lavender EO. And all this talk about being sued and what not has made me rethink selling soap period so i don't know what i'll do.

I don't think you need to reconsider selling soap at some point in the future....it just pays to be prepared. :)

And I don't look down on melt and pour soaps. There are some uniquely beautiful things that you can only achieve with that medium.....soap geodes....soap gemstones.....all kinds of vibrant colors and scents. It's cool, and something I will probably try myself eventually. Don't ever put your artistry down. :)

Latest posts

Back