Cold process embeds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breeglow

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to use fully cured cold process soap dough embeds inside melt and pour soap, but I'm at a loss as to whether they will stick.
Has anyone tried this before

Hi,
I want to use fully cured cold process soap dough embeds inside melt and pour soap, but I'm at a loss as to whether they will stick.
I know some people have used MP embeds in CP soap, with varied results but I don't know if I have heard of anyone using CP embeds in MP.

Mt guess is it would probably not work but I could be wrong.

@Breeglow : What do you mean by “stick”? For any embed, you'll have to somehow position it, e. g. by multiple pours. CP soaps are no exception. You can just use them, and it is charming that the product will be 100% soap.
If your question was if the molten M&P soap will stick to surfaces of CP soap: yes, it will. When in doubt, give the inlays a quick wash, so that the surface becomes slippery, and instantaneously joins with the M&P base. You also might just try out your desired effect with a small 50 g test bar, before you step up to the final recipe size.

However, there is a caveat: Roughly speaking, M&P soap is normal soap plus “solvents” (glycerol, propylene glycol, sugars), and these can attack other soap (that is how M&P base is made).
If you have reasonably solid/bulky inlay pieces, this is probably not a major issue. But for things like confetti soap, opacity of the CP soap shreds can diminish over time, or (worse) dyes leak out into the M&P soap and tint it.

Another thing to keep in mind: different types of soap have different dissolution speed; mixed soaps will wear unevenly. When M&P washes away faster than CP, over time the CP soap pieces will stick out of the M&P surface around.

Good luck!

I thought the OP meant, would it stay in place once the soap is cut or in use, or would it pop out given the chance.

There are folks here who have done this, but I am not sure if any of them are still around to answer your question. I have used CP soap dough to embellish MP soap, and none has fallen off of the exterior, but the embeds were loose when the soap was cut & able to fall out once the soap was used enough to loosen them further.

Having only done that this one time & not looking for a solution, I cannot say what could have been done differently to prevent that. I suspect someone with more experience making MP with CP embeds would have a more definitive answer. IF that's what you were asking.

Hi,
Yes, it will work, but as stated it has to be fully cured, otherwise it will shrink too much, and fall out of the M&P.
Also, it could bleed and make the M&P cloudy or discolored.
Mt guess is it would probably not work but I could be wrong.
It works, it just doesnt' really look as good as it is envisioned too. (if that makes sense) and it always has a tendency to bleed and make the M&P cloudy and/or discolored.

I want to use fully cured cold process soap dough embeds inside melt and pour soap
I think that is what is done in these soaps
1618261054144.png
1618261097792.png
1618261136351.png
1618261163455.png

Back