Cold Process and Lye Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWolf

Reaction score
My interest in Candles and Soap is from a historical standpoint. I could very well sell candles and lye soap and make some money. I am into the quality. I want it to be good. Doesn't have to be fancy. What is the best general Cold Process Soap Site that I can actually learn something? After I learn the basics I can add color and scent.
In regard to Lye Soap. What can be done to improve the quality. The reason I am asking is; my father made it many years ago. It was smooth and very good. I got some awhile back and I hate to say.........It was rather gamey and bad.Smelled to much like beef suet than Lye soap . I have always heard that lye soap was good for the skin and smooth. Not gamey and stinky ! Was it not filtered enough or filtered the wrong way ? Any info would be appreciated All I have is Foxfire.

One of the best sites to learn the basics from is Kathy Miller's site:

http://www.millersoap.com/

There's a wealth of good, basic info on there for the new (and old) soapmaker.

There's a wealth of info right here on the forum, too, although you may have to be more search saavy to find exactly what you're looking for.

Here is another great site with very good basic soap-making info:

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soapm ... /sm101.htm

I used both of those sites when first starting out (and still use them from time to time) and they are top-notch.

Once you get the basics down and get some batches under your belt, you'll be amazed at the beautiful, good smelling soaps you can turn out.

It sounds like your father used tallow or lard in his soap, but don't let your father's stinky soap turn you away from using animal fats in your soap. There's a right way to render tallow and lard, and a wrong way to render them, and if you handle things right, your soap won't stink. I make great tallow and lard soaps that don't stink, but then again, I get my tallow and lard from good sources. I use pre-rendered tallow from Columbus Foods, and my pre-rendered lard is Armour brand lard from Walmart. Both make great non-stinky soap.

Hopefully this will give you something to go on, but if you have any further questions or need help with formulating a good beginning recipe, don't hesitate to ask. There are a lot of great soapers here who would be glad to be of assistance and get you started off on the right foot. :)

IrishLass

Thanks for the information. I had forgotten about the Miller Soap site and the About.com site. I used to have the miller Site bookmarked,but for some reason I lost it and forgot about it. Thanks again !

Thanks everyone ! I appreciate the information. I just hope I get the chance to look through all these websites. Any sugestions on books ? I had some written down but have lost the paper I wrote all info on. I am aware of the Soap Makers Companion anything else on cold process soap making you can recommend ?
May be easier to read than sit at the computer. Thanks again !!

Back