Cold Process African Black Soap Recipe??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdtay

Reaction score
I sure hope this isn't a timeworn subject - I'm still learning how to navigate here - my apologies if it is but oooo, I need help! I'm very interested in making a real batch of African Black Soap. In my research, I'm not finding a true recipe for (I prefer CP) ABS. Nor am I finding where to source the ingredients. Any "recipe" I find involves adding chunks from a purchased bar of ABS into my soap batter and pour. Has anyone else ran into the situation and can maybe point me in the right direction? I feel like I'm running into a brick wall. Thank you!!

It is a bit timeworn ... the search engine gives quite a list of threads on this topic -- Search results for query: african black

From what I understand, black soap is often made with a boiled process method, not a cold or hot process method. If the saponification value of the fats and the purity of the alkali aren't always known, a boiled process allows the soap maker to compensate for ingredients with variable properties, while HP and CP methods do not.

There is no one specific recipe for the soap since many people in Africa make it, and the ingredients vary regionally. In addition to that, real African black soap is .... made in Africa ... which is one of the reasons why you're seeing people incorporate pieces of true ABS into their own soap batter, rather than making ABS from scratch.

If you want to make a 'true' ABS, as noted by @DeeAnna, it's not going to be made via Cold Process or in a crockpot (hot Process). You're going to need a big cast iron pot set over an open fire.

Here are some videos:

How African Black Soap Is Locally Made!

Incredible way of Making AFRICAN WHITE \ BLACK SOAP

You will need Cocoa Pods (some regions use Shea Husks), you will need to burn them hot to turn them into an ash and then grind the ash into a powder. The powder is then mixed with water and cooked and then strained. Oils used vary from region to region...some use palm kernel oil, some use coconut oil, some use raw shea butter, some use one or a blend. The oil(s) are heated, then the cocoa pod mixture is added and the soap is boiled down.

Every family has their own recipe that is handed down and it's not an exact science like how we make soap with our digital scales and store bought Sodium Hydroxide. It's more like making my Macaroni Salad...I can tell you what is in it, but I can't tell the quantities because it's based on feel, taste and visual...I just know when it's 'right'.

Back