Coffee Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7053joanne

Reaction score
I made a coffee soap last night and didn't add any scent to it but did add coffee grinds.....only thing is it smells kinda funky. Anyone else make coffee soap and if so does it REALLY smell like coffee?

Thanks
Joanne

no the scent of the coffee does not live though the process. I use strongly brewed coffee and lots of coffee grounds for scrubbies and it does not smell like coffee. If you want it to smell like coffee you need to add a coffee scented fragrance oil.

I'm going to attempt to make a coffee soap tonight but I'm going to add some eo's and coffee scent. Believe it or not coffee is said to help with cellulite! I think it actually works cause I've tried someone else's and my thighs look a lot better than it did a few months ago. Also maybe I've been walking a little more.......who knows!

Hey...even the thought it might help is enough for me. I hope your soap turns out better than mine. I'm hoping I don't decide to rebatch.....that's something I can wait to try.

Thanks for the responses.
Joanne

I made a batch from an internet recipe called "Mechanics Dream." It contained lanolin and felt kind of greasy at first. After it aged several months, I gave a bar to a friend. Her husband used it to get diesel fuel off of his hands and loved it. He wants to order more. The recipe also had pumace, liquid coffee and 1/8 cup of finely ground coffee. I think it was a one pound batch. Your soap will probably be better the more it ages.

when you grind up your coffee grounds make sure you get them pretty fine, I ground some that was super fine and others that wasn't as fine. And it's a mite scratchy !!!

Here's a pict of mine

coffeesoap.jpg

I have made a coffee body scrub before using a thick, cremey lotion and coffee grounds. I used it right away, i don't think it would store very well....but it had a great coffee smell to it.

AND scrubs are great for cellulite! It gets the lymph moving which, congested lymph can cause the rough appearance of celluite. So give yourself a good sugar, salt, or coffee scrub regularly moving in an upward direction up the legs and thighs.

My "soap to make" list includes a coffee soap. Thanks Faithy for the picture, that looks like a great coffee soap. I have found in my experiments that soap made with Powdered chocolate (cocoa) will remove odors quite well. I use my poison ivy soap to get the smell of gasoline off my hands it has cocoa in it.

Faithy that bar looks devine!!! You are right wilson great scrubbing action

The later is unbelievable on it, and it works just dandy for removing odors. But some of the coffee grounds could have been just a wee bit smaller. :oops: But I still use it anyways. Waste not want not....

I ground the grounds from whole beans and did them in two parts so there's quite a bit of ground coffee in it. And the first batch I got pretty fine and the second batch was deliberate in leaving some pieces a little larger. Lesson Learned....... So that's my bit of advice, is make sure the grounds are pretty fine otherwhise it hurts a bit when they scratch you as your lathering....

WHat about using coffee bean butter? Might this keep some of the scent in?
I've been wanting to make coffee soap...

Royal said:
WHat about using coffee bean butter? Might this keep some of the scent in?
I've been wanting to make coffee soap...
JMHO, but I would leave the coffe bean butter for topical leave on applications because of the cost! It is an emulsion of hydrogenated vegetable oils and coffee arabica oil so I am not sure what if any properties including scent would carry over after saponification.

lsg said:
I made a batch from an internet recipe called "Mechanics Dream." It contained lanolin and felt kind of greasy at first. After it aged several months, I gave a bar to a friend. Her husband used it to get diesel fuel off of his hands and loved it. He wants to order more. The recipe also had pumace, liquid coffee and 1/8 cup of finely ground coffee. I think it was a one pound batch. Your soap will probably be better the more it ages.

That sounds like a great soap! I've got tons of lanolin that I've been wanting to try in a soap, would you care to share the recipe? I googled it but didn't come up with much. :)

Andi

Cole Brothers has a lot of good recipes. They also have illustrated instructions on making blender soap. Now, before anyone says "Oh no, you don't make something like that in a blender," yes I do and have been making it for quite a while that way. As with any process using caustic materials, you have to use common sense and caution.
I love making blender soap, because it is fast and easy. As a hobby soap maker, the small batches are just right for me. :)

That is exactly where I got started soaping!!!!!

My blender and small 1 pound batches.......
*loved it*

but now I have evolved and I'm glad that's where I started

what about infusing the grounds in the base oil??? I do this often and the scent usually lasts -- I wonder about using this method for it to carry through -- hm, I am going to give it a go!

itsmeroro said:
what about infusing the grounds in the base oil??? I do this often and the scent usually lasts -- I wonder about using this method for it to carry through -- hm, I am going to give it a go!

Would like to know more about your successes using infused oils to scent your soaps. I want to be able to make nice-smelling soaps using only things from the backyard (tallow, ashes, herbs).

Back