Coffee Soap Scenting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGWP

Reaction score
Hello,

I've wanted to make a coffee soap for the longest time and finally got myself to build up a recipe that I'll test this weekend. Initially I wanted to go with coffee butter as an ingredient, but because very few EU e-shops offer this and at highly expensive price (+summer holidays currently), I decided to go for a coffee butter substitute such as a mix of cacao and mango butter. But now, I am not sure how to scent the soap properly with essentials. I've read coffee butter would give that nice coffee scent naturally, but in my case I need to look for some essential oil blend that can go well with the theme of the soap. Have you had any experience with scenting coffee soap with essential oils and what type of blend did you use?

Thanks in advance!

I make a coffee soap and I use brewed coffee as a full water replacement, along with some microgrind instant coffee into the batter at trace. I scent mine with orange essential oil. I've heard of others using mint or clove or something that goes along with coffee. As far as getting a coffee scent, you can use coffee absolute, but that is VERY expensive! And I don't know anyone who has done that, so I'm not sure what kind of results you would get. I use cocoa butter in mine.

This subject has been discussed many times. I don't recall anyone who was able to suggest an FO let alone an EO blend that worked well. Find the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of the page to search "coffee". Hopefully, you may find an answer there. ;)

I use a coffee FO in mine, holds the scent really well. I buy mine locally, so can't recommend one in the Netherlands. Wouldn't have a clue about an EO.

Thank you all for the replies! I wish to buy from BrambleBerry, but it's really expensive with shipping and also there are some regulations, I believe, when importing to EU.. they do have an official reseller here, but a very limited variety of products.. Thanks anyway! I will try to figure out another scent for it, and still hope the coffee grounds (and maybe if adding a coffee bean oil) will release some nice aroma. :p

I made the most amazing essential oil blend to go with my coffee soap! It makes it smell like buttery coffee, with a hint of lemon.
I used a big shot of coffee expresso as my "extra water" after making a 50/50 lye solution.
Then added a blend of 60% cedarwood and 40% lemongrass.
Along with coffee grounds! It's honestly so good, and the more expresso the better, don't water it down too much, or else the essential oil blend is stronger then the coffee smell :)

Back