coffee soap recipe idea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopyloop

Reaction score
Hi!
I have this idea for a coffee soap:
Almond Oil, sweet 5%
Castor Oil 4%
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 16%
Cocoa Butter 20%
Olive Oil 45%
Rice Bran Oil 10 %
Does it look ok to you? I plan to use espresso strength water for the lye solution and add some cocoa powder on top, at the end. Could I add some sugar to help bubbles, do you think?

Last edited:
You might infuse some of your olive oil with ground coffee also. Yes, you can add some sugar to the coffee, but I freeze my coffee before adding the lye to keep from scorching it. If sugar is not completely dissolved in liquid before adding the lye, it has a tendency to crystalize.

I have a dumb question: how do you make espresso strength coffee? We are not huge coffee drinkers but I do like the smell of coffee and want to make some coffee soap soon. Every thing I read people use double strength or espresso and I don't know how to make that.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I have a dumb question: how do you make espresso strength coffee?

I use a coffee that is a finer grind that is marketed for espresso then make it 2 or 3 times stronger than recommended. As has been recommended by lsg already, I then freeze it in ice cube trays and add the lye to the cubes. I then save the grinds from the coffee maker as well and will add about 1/8 cup per about 2500 grams of my soap mixture (total of oils, coffee, lye at trace). The grinds are much finer than regular coffee grinds and work nicely in soap. I will also add that almond oil tends to overpower the coffee aroma of the soap and my next batch I am going to experiment with adding a bit of coffee fragrance as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a coffee FO from WSP. Hubby gave me a bag of coffee he didn't like the flavor of to use to make the coffee and use the grounds for the exfoliant. Now I just need to offload some bars for the holidays to make more space on my curing shelves.

Pardon me for possibly hijacking, but what do you experienced coffee soap makers think about this: If I use brewed coffee ice cubes as my liquid, coffee-infused liquid oils (45% of total oils), and espresso-ground coffee grounds added in, would I still need to use a coffee FO to get a nice coffee-scented soap?

I mix my lye with water, then I put the coffee grounds in the water. I make a coffee/tea tree soap as a soap for cooks and gardeners. The grounds are good for scrubbing, the coffee removes garlic and onion smell from your hands and the tea tree oil is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, etc. My aunt is an avid gardener and she gets small infected scratches on her hands when she gardens, but with this soap the scratches don't get infected. The coffee smell is not as powerful as a pot of brewing coffee, but it is there. I wonder if the grounds in the soap help anchor the coffee scent?

From what I've read, the actual coffee used is not powerful enough to scent the soap... not my intention anyway. I found a recipe on youtube which uses 2 gr pure caffeine powder.
I'll give that a go.
Can I use some cocoa powder on top for bit of swirling? How would I add it?

Last edited:
Yes, you would need to add fragrance oil because, as someone stated, the wonderful odor of the coffee does not survive saponification. I like to add a little peppermint essential oil along with coffee fragrance oil at thin trace.

If you use finely ground coffee that has not been brewed as an additive to your soap batter, some coffee scent will survive.

If you use finely ground coffee that has not been brewed as an additive to your soap batter, some coffee scent will survive.

Yep, I've used infused oil and added fresh grounds and there is a hint if coffee in the soap.

I do that with my coffee soap, I never use FO. I use Satsuma from Starbucks. I add a little concentrated coffee oil(the black layer) at trace too. The scent is not strong but nice considering it's all naturally scented. Start with the strongest coffee for best results.

Latest posts

Back