Coffee Soap (Pic added: 12/30)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How fine is the coffee when you add it to the soap?
I just made some about two weeks ago. I added it straigh. I didnt grind it at all, and actually it isnt that scrubby.

Do you brew the coffee in the recipe’s water?
I sure do. I do it two days prior to making the soap, I leave it in the fridge to chill. I brew it strong!

Do you adjust your SF?
I do not make any adjustments. I make this soap once a year around the holidays and never had a problem.
I leave some soap out, and color it with TD for a bright fluffy topping. I also add Espresso scent to the base.

Not Smell but I add about 1 tsp of grounds ppo. I make mine on a regular basis, subbing the water out for coffee and adding the grounds at trace. I make mine to be kitchen hand soaps. Sometimes, I will add lemon too since lemon also gets rid of odors.

Flynn said:
CPSoaper said:
Not Smell but I add about 1 tsp of grounds ppo. I make mine on a regular basis, subbing the water out for coffee and adding the grounds at trace. I make mine to be kitchen hand soaps. Sometimes, I will add lemon too since lemon also gets rid of odors.

1 tsp?! My % works out to about 4.8 tsp PPO! I guess it all depends on the grind of the coffee too. I guess I used about 4.8 tsp of ground Folger's--which I put through a grinder for 30 seconds so it's really fine.

I'll post pics today. :D

I think anymore than 1 tsp ppo and your soap is too scrubbie and rough on the skin. When making scrubbie soaps IMO it is important to remember that a little goes a long way. You want scrubbie action in your soap and not soap that is like sandpaper. What it boils down to is a matter of preference and 4.8 tsp ppo would be way too for much.

Your soap looks great. Good job.

Oh and I meant to say that "What it boils down to is a matter of preference and 4.8 tsp ppo would be way too much for me.

Flynn, nice looking batch. I've made 3 or 4 batches is all, but I do the same as CPsoaper and Smelli. I grind really fine and make it strong. The longer it sits like Smelli mentioned, the stronger and darker it gets. I also use a coffee scented FO in mine. I think I added about 3 teaspoons full to a 2 pound batch (my 10" mold) and it turned out right for my tastes. Nice work, again....

Paul :wink:

Flynn;

That’s some really nice looking soap. I haven’t made any coffee soap yet but I sure do appreciate You sharing your experience. I made a Chocolate soap with about 3 tsp coco per lb. and boy is it chocolaty. I mention it only because it ended up being the best odor removing soap I've ever used. Its takes even gasoline off my hands and all manors of perfume and FO from making soap. I hope my coffee soap comes out looking as good as yours did. Thanks again for sharing.

Has anyone tried using the flavored coffee beans. I don't drink coffee, and what I buy for my hubby is the coffee beans that are roasted with a flavor in them.

I wonder if those would work as plain coffee grounds?

Right now he's got some southern pean roasted beans, and I might borrow some and try soaping with them.

Don't use his good beans up on soap Kris! The coffee soap I made has so much in it that it's black. I didn't scent it, and it don't even smell like coffee.

Was hoping it would take the diesel fuel smell off my hands. No luck with that. Probably have to try Neil's plan with the coco bar.

One thing tho, the thick grit coffee does cut thru the heavy grease real good. Then the soap can get in to do it's job.

Used to have to wash my hands in parts cleaning solvent and that tore up my hands pretty good to the point where my skin was peeling off.

Here's what I do when I make coffee soap:

1) Grind your coffee grounds fine - finer than they would come normally - you will brew your coffee with these and then lay them out to dry up a bit while the coffee is cooling. It's okay that you are using the already used grounds from your coffee since the only reason you are adding them is for scrubbiness.

2) Triple brew the coffee - I use an organic fair trade coffee cuz lots of my customers prefer it as natural as possible, but I am sure regular or even flavored would work out fine as well.

3) Cool the coffee in the freezer while I make another batch of soap - I usually make coffee soap the second or third batch of the day.

4) Use the coffee (it's okay if it's slightly frozen/slushy when you use it) as your full amount of water - just make sure it's the right amount of ounces with the scale.

5) Add any coffee or chocolate FO's at trace, as well as cocoa powder if you choose to. The coffee alone leaves a light scent after time, but adding the coffee FO gives it some kick.

Good luck to all who try this soap!

Great recipe, NaturalSoapGirl! I tipped my hubby about using coffee grounds to scrub his hands today and he was impressed. I will try making the coffee soap and have him try it out after working on the car!

Back