Coffee soap drama

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't lol. I will admit, when I read this thread I got a little excited, but then thought...what did I miss? Definitely not an expert, but I have studied and researched essential oils on one level or another for many many years.

I did a quick google search and found plenty of sites with "coffee essential oil", but they aren't reputable distributers. I then went to Mountain Rose Herbs and they do not have a coffee EO. Finally I consulted my trusty "little" book by Valerie Ann Worwood, and it is not listed.

I even bit the bullet and checked Young Living. They don't have it either.

Yes, there are lots of sites that claim to have coffee eo, none of them are well-know distributers. At least one site that I visited even described how its made. Still, its not real. I wish it was. They need to go to facebook jail.

Back on topic, I think adding coffee in its natural form stinks. I made a couple of batches last year...one with just coffee as my liquid, one with just coffee fo, and another with coffee as my liquid and coffee fo. The smell of the coffee as your liquid does not go away imo. It stinks and while your fo might fade after a while, the stinky smell of coffee combined with lye seems to last forever. Its not a pleasant smell. Like burn lye or something. But all that is just my opinion.
What I get from Voyageur smells just like coffee.. and this is the write up on it..

Coffee Essential Oil - Roasted​

Coffee Essential Oil is cold pressed from the seeds of the Coffea arabica plant giving this essential oil the aroma of a freshly brewed pot of coffee. Perfect for coffee lovers, the delectable notes of our Coffee Essential Oil make it a popular option in a variety of products including aromatherapy, lotions, creams and many other skin care products.

And it is super strong.. I made soap with it last year and it never lost it's smell

What I get from Voyageur smells just like coffee.. and this is the write up on it..

Coffee Essential Oil is cold pressed from the seeds of the Coffea arabica plant giving this essential oil the aroma of a freshly brewed pot of coffee. Perfect for coffee lovers, the delectable notes of our Coffee Essential Oil make it a popular option in a variety of products including aromatherapy, lotions, creams and many other skin care products.

And it is super strong.. I made soap with it last year and it never lost it's smell
And you don't need much

I'm sure it smells amazing. But it is not essential oil. I don't care what they say. It is cold pressed oil, like any other vegetable oil.

I have some cold pressed canola oil for sale at $55 for a 15ml bottle if you would like to buy it...

I agree that most so-called coffee essential oil products would be typically called an "absolute" and not an essential oil. In fact, "absolute" is the listing you will find on more reputable sites, like Mountain Rose Herbs. I was disappointed to see it listed as an EO on BA, Plant Therapy, and others that are mainstream sites. The same is true for vanilla and chocolate (cacao) absolutes, which are also often mislabeled as EOs. Others, like the one mentioned by the OP, are merely cold-pressed oils.

These sellers are falling prey to the marketing pressures and thus helping change the public perception of what constitutes a true essential oil.

Last edited:
Okay, thank y ou
I think @Catscankim was being facetious. The point being, Cold Pressed Oils are not the same thing as Essential Oils that are processed by distillation. "To begin with, in order to produce a single pound of essential oil, enormous quantities of plants are required: 10,000 pounds of rose petals, 250 pounds of lavender, 6,000 pounds of melissa plant, 1,500 lemons and so forth." That's why they are so expensive, i.e., "$55 for a 15ml".

Cold pressed oils are fatty acid oils extracted from seeds, nuts or fatty fruits such as olives (scientifically, olives are a fruit). These oils are usually used in cooking and soap making

Essential oils contain no fatty acids and are highly concentrated, intensely fragrant and extracted from aromatic plants such as lavender.

Coffee Essential Oil is cold pressed from the seeds of the Coffea arabica plant
I have no clue why Voyageur calls it "essential" oil when it clearly is not. At least to me. The manufacturer is responsible for the nomenclature. Maybe they are allowed to call it that in Brazil! :smallshrug:

In any case, it's a great tip! Thank you for bringing it to our attention!!! 🥰

Source: Coffee Bean Oil – Florapower

Coffee bean oil is composed of around 8-11% fatty acid, about 36-43% linoleic acid and around 35-42% palmitic acid. Additionally contained within the oil are around 7-11% stearic acid, around 4-7% arachidic acid and about 4-7% behenic acid.

Yep, coffee bean oil is not an essential oil. It was popular a few years ago and was very expensive. I have not looked in a long time but The Sage at one time had a very good Coffee Fragrance that held well in cp soaps, although I do not know if it is still available. It was never a good seller for me so I quit making coffee soaps. Looks like Soapalooza is gone too and she used to have a good Expresso fo, bummer. I have been away from soapmaking to long.

Back