Coffee maker with aluminum-alloy part?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill B Blasius

Reaction score
So I am making coffee to make soap with. I have a Mr Coffee espresso maker and some of the parts are metal - the filter basket, the part that holds the basket filter and the water tank itself. The basket filter holder looks to be an aluminum alloy, it's thick, buy very light weight and I have no idea what the tank is made out of, but it's not a heavy coffee maker.

Would this cause any sort of issue with my lye? And what would be the reaction of the lye (coffee) water be? Thx!

(Am trying to research it on the 'net, since I no longer have the box.)

So I am making coffee to make soap with. I have a Mr Coffee espresso maker and some of the parts are metal - the filter basket, the part that holds the basket filter and the water tank itself. The basket filter holder looks to be an aluminum alloy, it's thick, buy very light weight and I have no idea what the tank is made out of, but it's not a heavy coffee maker.

Would this cause any sort of issue with my lye? And what would be the reaction of the lye (coffee) water be? Thx!

(Am trying to research it on the 'net, since I no longer have the box.)
As long as you aren't using the actual coffee maker to make your soap, (meaning, putting your lye water solution through the coffee maker) and are only using the coffee as your liquid there should be no problem at all.

As for the coffee/lye reaction, make sure your coffee is cold. Just like with water, the solution will heat up, probably be dark (may result in a slightly darker soap, but not too bad), but other than that I see no problems.

Latest posts

Back