coffee for soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthie

Reaction score
A friend owns a coffee shop and has started carrying my coffee soap. She has offered to save leftover coffee and grounds, but since I use 4X coffee in my soaps, I turned it down. Then I began thinking, since I simmer down my beer for beer soap, could I do the same with coffee? I know it would have to be done gently so as not to scorch it.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what were the results? I don't drink the stuff, so any help would be appreciated. :)

If you are looking for label appeal, and coffee color, then the left over coffee should be fine. If you are looking for coffee smell, then use something else. Reheating coffee to concentrate it will result in burned smelling/stale coffee.

I would go talk to the beer brewer

A friend owns a coffee shop and has started carrying my coffee soap. She has offered to save leftover coffee and grounds, but since I use 4X coffee in my soaps, I turned it down. Then I began thinking, since I simmer down my beer for beer soap, could I do the same with coffee? I know it would have to be done gently so as not to scorch it.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what were the results? I don't drink the stuff, so any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks to all for the encouragement. Susie, I usually put a mocha-type fragrance in my coffee soaps. Yummy smell! :)

I will contact her and ask her to save some for me.

If you garden, coffee grounds are GREAT for your soil! Worms LOVE them.

I don't think you are going to be able to get enough smell out of coffee - recycled grounds or not - for your soap to actually have a coffee smell. I think it boils down to an issue of cost vs hassle. Is the money you save using used grounds worth the hassle of her saving them and you picking them up?

If you garden, coffee grounds are GREAT for your soil! Worms LOVE them.

I don't think you are going to be able to get enough smell out of coffee - recycled grounds or not - for your soap to actually have a coffee smell. I think it boils down to an issue of cost vs hassle. Is the money you save using used grounds worth the hassle of her saving them and you picking them up?

Not doing it for the smell but for label appeal. And since I don't drink coffee myself, and go there to eat often (or for the Elvis Smoothie! ) it won't be much of a hassle. Biggest hassle will be cooking it down. Don't see it as worse than brewing.

I've toyed with the worm bed idea for years. Maybe when I retire. . . .

Colour. My non-condensed coffee soap was no where near the deep rich colour

Coffee in soap will yield a cafe au lait color. I just refrigerate my leftover coffee and use it in place of water. If you want that deep rich color(and more label appeal!) add 2 tsp cocoa/PPO to go with your Mocha scent.

Latest posts

Back