Coffee EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoffeeKat

Reaction score
Has anyone got experience with Coffee EO? I'm after an espresso smell without using FO.

CP soap I:m afraid.

You can see why I hesitate to buy it. Admittedly I've seen it cheaper elsewhere but not much.

Some places indicated it will give aroma in soap but I suspect they are strategically omitting that it is M&P not CP.

As you can see from my user name- I don't have any issues with coffee. :oops:

Last edited:
I think if you infuse your oils in lots of fresh ground coffee, plus add a bit of finely ground to the mix ... You may get a bit of coffee scent left in there after cure.

::Quietly whispering in your ear::.. If you decide to try an FO, brambleberry espresso is awesome.

I'm afraid I have to second BB's Espresso. Nice coffee scent without the crazy cost. Or perhaps, if you were going to try the EO, blend it with this FO to decrease your overall cost?

A good coffee FO is difficult to find. Some of them are dreadful.

I think if you infuse your oils in lots of fresh ground coffee, plus add a bit of finely ground to the mix ... You may get a bit of coffee scent left in there after cure.

::Quietly whispering in your ear::.. If you decide to try an FO, brambleberry espresso is awesome.

I spent a day experimenting with coffee/oil/water infusions this week. Even with grounds there really isn't much aroma left in any of them.

I'm trying to avoid FOs because I and a friend have multiple chemical sensitivities and I try to keep things as simple as possible.

I might have to do more FO research and see if they will be OK for us.

I failed with a batch of coffee soap recently.

Used a very fine local coffee merchant and made a very strong java brew.

The resulting bars smelt like an ash tray.

Not good!

I made a very strong coffee oil infused with strong coffee grounds, and let it infuse for a month. The finished soap had a slight coffee smell, that faded before cure was complete. I used the same oil to make a coffee scented scrub and the smell was amazing.

I made a coffee bar using 2x brew strength. It just came off the cure rack with a light coffee fragrance my daughter thinks its chocolate.

I did a trifold infusion with coffee grounds CPed it. The lye monster ate all of the coffee scent (which was VERY strong going in). Was thinking about doing it again with HP and using the infused oil as a high SF anyone ever try something like this?

I've tried a range of things in my test. Hopefully you can sort of read what is on each cake to get an idea but as a starting point I hot infused 1/2 cup(50g) fine grounds (left over from making espresso) in 2 cups of oil (500g), then did likewise with water.

Then I filtered (with a coffee filter), strained (one batch with a strainer and a second with a stocking) and diluted as noted on the cakes of soap. I also tried adding the infusion at light trace for oil and emulsion for water (wasn't sure how late I could go on that one). One half was forced to gel. The other (unlabelled) was prevented from gelling.

The test recipe was super simple - OO 65%, CcO 28%, CasO 7%, SF8% Water 38%. In case you are wondering why the SF and water were so high it was because I fancied it (SF) and so I had lots of coffee to play with (water).

I also tested a turkish mocha FO from BB to see how it would discolour/accelerate.

RESULTS:

Coffee infused OO seemed to accelerate trace slightly. Water did not.
Turkish Mocha does discolour but didn't seem to accelerate trace in this recipe.
The only soap with any fragrance remaining is the Turkish Mocha (which is sweet and warm but not what I was after at all.)

20150821_160205.jpg

Has anyone got experience with Coffee EO? I'm after an espresso smell without using FO.

Did you ever try the coffee eo in CP soap? I'm wanting to try it with a small % to help with costs. Hoping that a small amount will stretch the purchase out and will still give a nice scent.

Hi Alli,

If I had ordered it the day I posted the first question I still wouldn't have it. LOL. I'm in country Western Australia and WA stands for wait awhile. :lol:

I'm not sure if it has been available for a long time or not. I hadn't seen it until I really went looking a few weeks ago and I'm not sure if it is 'newish' or just too expensive for anywhere in West Australia to bother stocking.

I will wait a bit longer and see if anyone else has any information on it.

Just putting my two cents in...
I'm making some coffee soap for my coffee addicted sister. When I asked her if she would want it to smell like coffee she said "Hell no, I may love coffee but I don't want to smell like it, in fact if I spill it on myself it drives me nuts that I have the smell on me".
I was surprised, but she still wanted coffee soap...just not with the smell. She's opting for peppermint instead to help wake her up.
For those that love flavored coffees maybe concentrating on the "flavor" for aroma would be a better idea. Hazelnut? Vanilla? Chocolate?

I'm making some coffee soap for my coffee addicted sister. When I asked her if she would want it to smell like coffee she said "Hell no, I may love coffee but I don't want to smell like it, in fact if I spill it on myself it drives me nuts that I have the smell on me".
I was surprised, but she still wanted coffee soap...just not with the smell. She's opting for peppermint instead to help wake her up.
For those that love flavored coffees maybe concentrating on the "flavor" for aroma would be a better idea. Hazelnut? Vanilla? Chocolate?

When I make my coffee soap, I use my espresso FO in a blend with cinnamon and vanilla. Even though those are all very "foody" smells (which I don't care for in a scent that lingers on my skin) it still smells very soapy. The nice thing about soap is that you get to enjoy the scent while in the shower, but it usually doesn't stick to the skin for long. I hate the scent of spilled coffee on my shirt too! Coffee lotion or perfume, I'd give it a big "hell no" as well ha!

Good idea!

Back