coffee batch seems soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm4bleenmb

Reaction score
I hope some experienced soapers will weigh in on this. I made the soap about 10 days ago. I discovered in my notes that the original batch was HnH instead of heavy cream. Last time was probably Folger's, this time it was a local store brand I put aside because we got home and discovered that the person who used the grinder before us did not clean it out and the coffee tasted like hazelnut, which my husband doesn't like. I think I did get it stronger this time, too.
Everything seemed the same when I mixed it, I poured it into my molds--the bottom of a Velveeta box lined with parchment paper, and an empty plastic tub from a flavored Philly spread. I put them both in the fridge for a few hours and then had to remove them to the craft room. I left them overnight and the next morning the top reminded me of the crema you get when you pull a good shot of espresso. That afternoon, it felt firm enough to unmold the box, but the tub was still quite soft. I cut the bars and the inside of the soap looked fine, really dark and luscious, plus, even though I added no scent, I swear it smells like coffee!
I left the tub along for almost a week, but it showed no signs of wanting to unmold on its own. I probably should have frozen it, but as you can see from the pics, I got impatient and forced it out anyways. It felt, and looked, like firm fudge. I chalked it up to being in the tub where it couldn't breath.
But it's 10 days old now, and still kind of soft. I don't remember the first batch being soft like this. And sometimes the surface of it almost feels greased.
Would using heavy cream instead of half-and-half this time be enough to make the soap softer? It's only a TBSP to 20 oz of oils. Is it possible that the coffee made the difference? The last time it did not get that cream on top look, either. I'm sure I did everything else the same. Well, okay, different brand of distilled water and we live in CA instead of MI.:lol:
I scraped some off the side of the plastic tub and got a little lather and it's not zappy or anything.
Oh, and I don't remember it feeling greasy or sticky. Could that just be humidity? The stronger coffee? Anybody have any thoughts on this? I guess it could just be my faulty memory--and the top does look kind of cool. :crazy:

cut 2.jpg

cut 3.jpg

single 2.jpg

single 7.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't think the type of coffee would make the difference. I was thinking of a higher SF with the heavy cream but a tablespoon doesn't seem like it would knock the SF out of the park. Sitting in a tub can keep it soft because there is little surface evaporation and out of the tub but uncut increases it but perhaps not enough. I would try to cut it, assuming it's not completely smooshy. Once you cut it, it will start to dry much faster and with time, and assuming your weights were all correct, it will be fine.

How much liquid did you add? That could be part of it. I think the tub added to the prolonged softness. Cutting and then time will solve your problem, I am willing to bet.

That color on your cut bars is wonderful. I absolutely love it.

I wouldn't think the type of coffee would make the difference. I was thinking of a higher SF with the heavy cream but a tablespoon doesn't seem like it would knock the SF out of the park. Sitting in a tub can keep it soft because there is little surface evaporation and out of the tub but uncut increases it but perhaps not enough. I would try to cut it, assuming it's not completely smooshy. Once you cut it, it will start to dry much faster and with time, and assuming your weights were all correct, it will be fine.

How much liquid did you add? That could be part of it. I think the tub added to the prolonged softness. Cutting and then time will solve your problem, I am willing to bet.

That color on your cut bars is wonderful. I absolutely love it.

Thank you, newbie! I love that color, too. I just use the default amount for liquids on soapcalc. I think I just did not take as good of notes as I thought I did and am not remembering it correctly. I guess maybe I was hoping
someone would look at it and go, "Yep. That's exactly what I would expect that recipe to do." :lol:

Time seems to be the great corrector for soap, it is getting better now, and since it seems to be fine in every other way, I will just wait it out and see what John has to say when he uses it.

Back