Coffee bar caffeine questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rparrny

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm in full speed mode making soaps that will be cured and ready for the holidays for gift giving. I try to make a soap that fits each individual so when I saw a video on coffee soap, it had my sister's name written all over it!
I have seen several recipes many calling for anhydrous caffeine as an additive. I am torn about whether or not to try it. If it could really boost you up, tighten skin, reduce puffiness and cellulite, I'm tempted. The herbalist in me is screaming "TRAITOR!".
If anyone has had experience with this type of soap I would love to hear about it...

OMG! I found this soap mold and just ordered it...is this perfect or what?

coffee bean soap mold.jpg

Well, that's where I'm torn..
Caffeine is natural...it's just that the powder is processed which is against the herbalists creed. Does that addition really do ANYTHING? Does using really strong coffee come close? I have an excaliber and could dehydrate it to powder and make a really strong bar.
A big part of me wonders if the amount of soap one would use during a typical shower would really absorb enough caffeine to make any difference, that's why I thought someone with experience making this might give me some insight.
One way or another, I'm making coffee soap because it is the PERFECT gift for a sister who drinks over 3 pots a day...
Thought I would put it in a basket with some ground coffee for drinking and a mug that says COFFEE HO...yeah I even bathe in the stuff

I use it in a bar I make, but find no difference between it and the same bar without the caffeine. As I mentioned Label appeal. Cannot imagine how long it would take to dehydrate enough strong coffee in an excaliber, which I also have

I make coffee soap using frozen left over coffee. I dilute the NaOH in the frozen coffee. The stronger the coffee, the darker the soap will be. I use strong coffee on a patchouli soap and it is nice and dark.

Never used anhydrous caffeine, but as far as label appeal, I find something like 'freshly brewed espresso', or 'free trade costa rican coffee'....fill in the blank here with other descriptors.....more appealing than 'anhydrous caffeine'. YMMV.

I do not use FO's anymore, but for what you are attempting to do, you will probably need a coffee FO. The one called 'fresh brewed coffee' or something like that from candle science is pretty good. I used it once blended with a chocolate FO to make a mocha scented soap, it was so realistic.

I love that soap mold by the way!

I use it in a bar I make, but find no difference between it and the same bar without the caffeine. As I mentioned Label appeal. Cannot imagine how long it would take to dehydrate enough strong coffee in an excaliber, which I also have
Carolyn,
Thanks for your insight. Do you notice any of the effects they claim? Firmness, lack of puffiness ect? Your right about the dehydrating, it would probably take a week...
What scent do you use, I can't imagine anyone would WANT to smell like coffee...I'm thinking peppermint EO for the perk up factor, any suggestions?

I make coffee soap using frozen left over coffee. I dilute the NaOH in the frozen coffee. The stronger the coffee, the darker the soap will be. I use strong coffee on a patchouli soap and it is nice and dark.
I love that soap mold by the way!
Most every tutorial I found talked about freezing the coffee so I will do that. My sister's son is an espresso fanatic (the apple didn't fall far from THAT tree) and I was thinking about making an espresso swirl bar with powdered espresso, any experience with that?
Yeah when I first saw that bar it was at a etsy site selling soap and I thought someone had just put beans embedded in the soap and I thought...how stupid is THAT...then I found out it was a mold and searched until I found a vendor....SO realistic!

I make a scrub soap with coffee (as the liquid) but I prefer poppy seeds to coffee grounds. I have not experimented with different grounds though, perhaps if it is finely ground coffee it could be nice and not too scratchy. Hopefully others will chime in on that.

A friend of mine that is a self proclaimed addict ordered a caffeinated soap that gets mixed reviews . Whether it was psychological or not, I couldn't say, but he claimed that he got a buzz from it.
Obviously he wasn't going for any of the physical benefits, I think he could care less about cellulite and what not, but ever since, I've been determined to get some caffeine and try it out. Knowing what I do now about soaping, I don't think I'd personally use it in soap, but it would probably be awesome in a scrub.

I have never had a buzz from caffeine in soap and I use max amount, but Essential had a mousse type coffee butter that I did feel the effects of the caffeine in it. Of course that is the difference between a wash off versus a stay on product

I use double strong coffee in one of my soaps for the liquid. No freezing necessary. I don't get any unusual effects, I just like the color and it makes great "label appeal" for my other coffee loving family members. I don't sell, so it is just family.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, the information you gave me was truly invaluable!
I'm gonna skip the added caffeine and just go with strong coffee and add peppermint EO for an added wake up factor.
My molds have shipped and I can't wait to try them out. I'll post pics when I'm done.
Again, thank you for all the responses.

LOVE that mold! I am about to try making some coffee/cinnamon soap, with a whipped cream look on top. I want to use coffee essential oil. Anyone have experience with that? It's expensive, but I'm not making a lot of soap, and I found it on bulkapothecary.com for a decent price. So--to the real purpose of this message, do you have a link to where to find that mold? IT IS AWESOME!!

LOVE that mold! I am about to try making some coffee/cinnamon soap, with a whipped cream look on top. I want to use coffee essential oil. Anyone have experience with that? It's expensive, but I'm not making a lot of soap, and I found it on bulkapothecary.com for a decent price. So--to the real purpose of this message, do you have a link to where to find that mold? IT IS AWESOME!!
I found it on Etsy, the vendor is from South Korea who has some really unique molds. The price was a bit high...about 13 bucks but he discounts in lots of 3. I'm sure if you search "coffee soap mold" on Etsy it will pop up, if not let me know and I will look on my reciept

I thought it might be him, I assume it is https://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamhouseKorea

The molds are a bit pricey, but they are gorgeous, beautifully detailed, well made. I have several of them (not the coffee one, a couple of the leaves, the pearl in shell, the rice cake) and dupes of a couple b/c I like them so much. I mostly use them for MP, but they will stand up to CP. Also, he is really reliable/well-rated, and ships fast. The only issue is that they are individual molds, so you can't make a bunch at once.

Last edited:
I thought it might be him, I assume it is https://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamhouseKorea

The molds are a bit pricey, but they are gorgeous, beautifully detailed, well made. I have several of them (not the coffee one, a couple of the leaves, the pearl in shell, the rice cake) and dupes of a couple b/c I like them so much. I mostly use them for MP, but they will stand up to CP. Also, he is really reliable/well-rated, and ships fast. The only issue is that they are individual molds, so you can't make a bunch at once.
Yup, that's him...
Some of the most beautiful molds and so unique. I don't mind paying the price if they hold up to CP.

Latest posts

Back