Coconut water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubli

Reaction score
Found some coconut water at store. Ingredients just say "coconut water" no additives or preservatives or any other crud. So, for my soap that I do 50%water for my lye and the other 50% coconut milk, would it be alright to use this in place of water fir the lye with maybe a pinch more than 50% coconut water?

You could probably use it for all your water, I would think. I have never soaped with it though so I don't know if there would be any issues, but I have used 100% juice before with no problem. I imagine it would be similar.

Oops I just reread your post - yes I think that would be awesome!

you can do a full liquid swap with the coconut water, or just 50-50... even 50 co water 50 co milk sounds interesting..

Yes. I do sort of the same thing. Coconut water for the lye solution, the rest in coconut milk- added to the oils. Depending on the source of the coconut milk/water, my soap can come out with a funky colored middle - but that goes away during cure.

Thanks all! May should have read Dudeitsashley's post before I dove into the challenge. My intentions were to do 50% of my liquid as coconut water to dissolve my lye in (in an ice bath even), the other 50% was coconut milk full fat added at trace, 100% coconut oil, super fatted at 20%, no color or fragrance (my skin is terribly sensitive), mixed at 120F. All went according to plans, except for the coconut water in the lye.....oops! Even in the ice bath and coconut water refrigerated, it turned the ugliest carrot orange I have ever seen! Jeez that was disgusting! And the lye would not fully dissolve (2.2 ounces lye:2.4 ounces coconut water). Well, I was stumped! This was the first time I had to deal with "now what the h*** do I do with this crap?!" So I set that mess aside and made more lye water with distilled water. Dang! Had my heart set on an ALL coconut soap. So like Ashly said, I wonder would it have been o.kay and not discolored the soap had I continued to use it. Or maybe I should have froze it like when using goat milk. It's so much water consistency though I didn't think freezing it would be needed. Oh well! It's in the mold not and WHITE, yay! So far so good. But no coconut water!

I would never, ever make soap with coconut water..... because it's just too darn yummy! :lol: lol Seriously, it doesn't last long enough in my house to be able to even think about making soap with it. I don't know how y'all can do it! lol

IrishLass :)

You used 100% coconut WATER, right? Because what you experienced sounds like what happens with milk. I soap with the coconut water all the time -using it for my lye solution and haven't had that problem, yet. I never say "never", because that's a jinx. At the most, it might turn a bit yellow - but that's ok as long as you have enough liquid to dissolve the lye. Did you add anything else to the lye water?

Yep, my total liquid was 30%. I intended to do 50% coconut water with my lye and the other 50% coconut milk with my oil at trace. It was a nasty orange, almost a wet terra cotta clay color, no strange smell. I even used a pinch more c w for lye and used ice bath, and the lye would not fully dissolve. The packaging said coconut water, that's it. No preservatives, thickeners, just c w. I half expected it to turn a little yellow at least, but this was unreal. I am wondering if there wasn't other junk in that water that the manufacturer did not list. Either way I'm glad I tossed the ugly lye water. There's no telling what was in it. I got it from Walmart I'm the produce section. So do you freeze your c w? Do you make yours yourself, or actually get it from the c n center fresh?

I keep mine in the fridge - never know if I'm going to drink it or soap with it. But I don't do an ice bath or anything. I use sodium lactate, too, so that goes in with the CW, pour in the lye and stir. Usually I make a 50% solution out of it, then add whatever else I'm using to the oils.

Maybe diluting it a little with distilled water? I'm scratching my head.

ETA: I use Vita Coco. Just the plain one, in the box/bottle.

Thanks, may try that one :) on a brighter note....my soap is paper white, WOW! Still too warm to cut, but I'm like drooling, can't wait. Thanks again!

Is this normal? I cut my 100% coconut oil/20% super fat soap at 6 hours after pour. It gelled, cooled and hardened. I was uncomfortable with doing this so soon, but everything I have read all over the web said to do so because it will apparently get brick hard at 24 hours and crumble if you attempt to cut at that time (don't know if that's true in my case yet)....all seems good but on all cut surfaces there looks like a very fine "morning dew" type mist on it. Like it was sprayed with a very fine mist of water. I have never had this happen but is this what people mean when they talk about "sweating", or could it be excess oil considering its so high in extra fat? No I haven't touched, licked it or done anything else but cut it, with gloves on. A few crumbles that fell off did really bubble up when I washed my hands with them with gloves on. And at 6 hours, it was actually much softer than I expected. So is this misty stuff on it normal for this type of soap? And it is pretty hot and humid in my area today.

Its probably just sweating from high humidity, I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets really bad. If you have a small fan, you can use it in the room with the soap if you wanted.
Any chance you cooled it in the fridge? That can make condensation form while it warms back up to room temp.

No, I cooled it on the counter. But condensation is the perfect word to describe what it looks like, I couldn't think of a good term. You nailed it. I just worry to much! I'm sure it's fine. Just get freaked out when it looks weird. Thanks.

Update! What ever the droplets were, they either evaporated or re absorbed. I tried a tiny crumble and at less than 24 hours old I can already tell I like it. It's a pinch harsh, but knowing it will ease up a lot in a few weeks, it's already looking like a winner! I ordered some 100% co soap from a guy on etsy, haven't received it yet, but he says he makes his with 30% super fat and coconut milk. Do any of you guys super fat that high? Can not wait to try his. I hope it comes today!

Well, here's how it went. Got the soap today and it's strange. His soap is great, but way too harsh. I didn't say anything to him because i don't want to stir up a mess, but I'm wondering if maybe he gave me the wrong soap(like maybe one he made intended for laundry) or there was some other mistake in his soap making process. That 100% co soap I made the other day is much more moisturizing than his supposed 30% sf, though I did use coconut milk. And those droplets on mine.... When I cut his bar in half (to dissect his handy work) his did the same. I'm thinking excess oil.
On the brighter side...I know mine isn't fully cured yet, but I could not wait. I washed my hair with it and no build up. I have hard water and have to use acv rinse every time. Not with this co soap. I am surprised. I don't know about this guys soap. It was just one bar so maybe I'll use it for dishes. It is good, just drying.

If I was you, I would let him know the soap is drying. I'd also ask when it was made, could be it just needs a longer cure. I can't use salt bars that haven't cured for at least 8 weeks or they are too drying.
I make a ton of salt bars and I never get droplets on mine so I don't think its oil. More likely its droplets of condensation, its it humid where you live?

Yes, humid here. And you're right, I should let him know. He may not have let it cure long enough or made a mistake or something.

Latest posts

Back