Coconut water and aloe juice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to try both coconut water and aloe juice in soap. I saw organic pure coconut water at the store today and it was pink. Is that the color it is supposed to be? Also can you use aloe juice from the store? I saw some and I was going to try it but I wasn't sure if it has to be made or not.

Do you mix either with the distilled water or do you do deduct from the water in the recipe and add it after you pour the lye?

Also, if you use coconut oil in the soap should you account for the extra coconut water so soap isn't drying?

I know it is a lot of questions to ask.

Coconut water straight from the nut is clear, but give it time and the antioxidants in it (I forget the name), when they react to oxygen n light n stuff, turn it pink :)

I've never used it though, coz when I have some, someone or the other always drinks it lol. It's on my list. Same as aloe juice. I have a feeling though, that it might not be drying like coconut oil. Don't take my word for it though lol

I use the aloe juice sold in a gallon jug from Walmart as a total water replacement sometimes. Works fine. I’ve never used coconut water but use coconut milk frequently.

What does coconut water have in it? It always seems pretty watery to me, but maybe you’re thinking of something else. If it has any oil in it, I don’t think it would be enough to affect the soap. So, I had to answer my own question, and here’s what I found:

Nutrition Facts
The following nutrition information is provided by the USDA for 1 cup (240g) of coconut water.
  • Calories: 45.6
  • Fat: 0.4g
  • Sodium: 252mg
  • Carbohydrates: 8.8g
  • Fiber: 2.6g
  • Sugars: 6.3g
  • Protein: 1.8g
That’s negligible fat and about a teaspoon of sugar in a cup.

I have used two kinds of aloe vera in soap. One is a very watery liquid that comes in a jug from Walmart. I’ve also used a gel consistency aloe from the natural food market. It had carrageenan or something similar in it as a thickener. I did not notice any difference between the two kinds in terms of the final soap

Last edited:
I use the aloe juice from Wal-Mart as well. I do half distilled water / half aloe juice as my lye water.

My understanding from reading is that adding sugar to soap batter will help increase lather and that coconut milk or cream would add to conditioning. Aloe juice has sugars so should increase lather. Since they have water content you should calculate how much water you need and substute your aloe juice or coconut milk amount up to the full water you need. I substitute 1/2 usually, giving lye some water to dissolve in. I just don’t use things that have other chemicals added.

I will pick up the aloe, Walmart is where I saw it and I was wondering if I could use it. As for coconut water I think I am going to try it and see what is does. At the least I might get a pretty pink soap.

I will experiment this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I also use the walmart aloe at 100% water replacement.
It doesn't overheat, burn or smell bad. There might be some color change but it doesn't affect the soap.

...coconut milk or cream would add to conditioning. ...substute ... coconut milk amount up to the full water you need...

Coconut milk or cream isn't a direct substitute for water. It can add a substantial amount of coconut oil to your soap batch, so you really need to read the nutrition label and figure out how much of the product is "water" and how much is fat. Then you can make some educated decisions about how this affects your recipe. https://classicbells.com/soap/nutritionLabel.asp

Adding coconut milk/cream will raise the lauric and myristic acid content in your soap. When saponified, these fatty acids will make the soap less "conditioning" and more cleansing.

Wow thanks for the info. Did not know that. Do people actually need to add it then for more cleansing?? Curious

I will pick up the aloe, Walmart is where I saw it and I was wondering if I could use it. As for coconut water I think I am going to try it and see what is does. At the least I might get a pretty pink soap.

I will experiment this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Yes - please let me know. The coconut water sounds good - although it looks like it's really only adding sugars which you can do by literally adding sugar. A lot cheaper than coconut water - which is on our 'trendy' shopping lists over here so of course the prices are hiked up accordingly. However, coconut water, because it is 'trendy' would have good label appeal.

Wow thanks for the info. Did not know that. Do people actually need to add it then for more cleansing?? Curious

No, not necessarily for more cleansing. If your recipes call for any coconut oil at all, the CO supplied by the coconut milk or cream should be included as part of the total CO needed. If you read my article in the link, you'll see that's how I suggest doing things.

People add coconut milk or cream for other reasons. There are sugars in the product, which adds lather. It adds label appeal. Some people live where coconuts grow, so coconut milk or cream is readily available. Why not use a local product?

Latest posts

Back