Coconut superfat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
My googlefu either fails me or this answer doesn't exist.

Is there a chart or common assumption about coconut oil % related to superfat?

The general rule seems to be to use 20% co or less for a 5% SF and for 80% or more co use 20% SF. Does anyone know if those number are directly proportional or if there's a weird math thing in between?

I have no plans to test this but I also have no big soaping plans after I finish playing with peanut butter soap.

I've heard that people SF at 8-15% when the CO goes past 20%. For me, 20% is too much. In fact, 12% is my limit when using 5% SF.

Coconut oil is a very stable oil so with a higher SF you're not so worried with it going rancid. However, in a "regular" recipe with a bit higher coconut oil you're going to need to factor in shelf life of your (other) oils. My salt bars have 80% coconut oil and 20% percent olive oil. It also contains 30% salt (from the oils) which can help extend shelf life (I don't know if it has a direct correlation with rancidity). I still find salt bars a bit drying even with 20% SF. However, I need to do experiments with adding coconut milk in place of water.

I've seen some people recommend a 10-15% SF with coconut oil at 35-50% but it's going to be very recipe dependent on what makes the rest of the bar. The SF will feel different with a different oil blend when you're using lower amounts of coconut oil in a blend.

This would be one of those things that I believe takes a lot of trial and error.

I've heard that people SF at 8-15% when the CO goes past 20%. For me, 20% is too much. In fact, 12% is my limit when using 5% SF.
I still find salt bars a bit drying even with 20% SF. However, I need to do experiments with adding coconut milk in place of water.

I've seen some people recommend a 10-15% SF with coconut oil at 35-50% but it's going to be very recipe dependent on what makes the rest of the bar. The SF will feel different with a different oil blend when you're using lower amounts of coconut oil in a blend.

This would be one of those things that I believe takes a lot of trial and error.

We can buy little tiny cans of coconut cream that are worth a try.
I added it to 100% OO 35% salt. Far to early to tell, sorry but it looks like it worked well.

I've made 100% OO 5% SF salt bars but just threw in the salt without measuring it! [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] it was a lot though 50% plus. 6 months later it is fabulous back to the drawing board for me though.

Latest posts

Back