Coconut saop question?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry S

Reaction score
I'm making Coconut soap today...2 kinds actually..
One will have 85 % CO, 10%OO, 5%Castor...
The other will have the same ingredients as above but I'm making salt soap and adding 50% my weight of oil with salt...
QUESTION...How long should I wait do take the soap out of my bar mold. I don't want to wait to long and end up having a brick to cut...
thanks..js

For the salt bar, take it out as soon as it feels solid enough to do so. Mine come out after a couple of hours or I get crumbly edges. Some folks have it ready after only an hour or so. I wear gloves when removing since the bars are still warm and not completely saponified.

Thanks for that Snappy..I have to run to an appointment in 2 hours so I guess I'll wait until I get back to make the Coconut bars and Salt bars....I'm not using any canned coconut milk but was going to us water with a 15% Super F...I was wondering if I could use regular 2% milk and get a more creamier soap instead of the water...
jer

Thanks for that Snappy..I have to run to an appointment in 2 hours so I guess I'll wait until I get back to make the Coconut bars and Salt bars....I'm not using any canned coconut milk but was going to us water with a 15% Super F...I was wondering if I could use regular 2% milk and get a more creamier soap instead of the water...
jer

I agree with Snappy. I generally unmold after about 2 hours. It's still hot/warm so I use gloves as well.

As for using milk, yes, you can use any milk. I prefer 1/2 & 1/2, buttermilk, Coconut or Goat's but 2% should work too.

Thanks 2011...I think I'll try the 2% and if I have any 1/2&1/2 in the frig, I'll throw that in there too...I'll pop some photo's of the soap in my molds when I get them going and also when I take them out of the mold...
jer

I'm not a big fan of cow's milk... half and half or heavy cream in soap. Both times I've tried it I get an unpleasant note of "old milk" scent to the bars ever time they get wet. I'm the only one in house that notices it though so you might love it.

I love, love, love CM and goat's milk. They are great in all my bars.

Latest posts

Back