Coconut red curry with chick peas, red lentils, bnut squash and spinach

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
It's cold out today. Cold and windy. The kind of weather where you're looking for something to warm you up from the inside. I ran across this recipe, and I had everything except the butternut squash, so a quick trip to the grocery store and I had a pot bubbling on the stove. I followed the recipe loosely, I added more squash than called for, and lots more hot, red curry paste. And more cilantro. The squash took a little longer to cook than in the recipe. It's quite yummy, and I thought someone out there might enjoy it too. Here you go... http://dirtytruffle.com/2013/12/20/...eas-red-lentils-butternut-squash-and-spinach/

Oooh! That looks quite yummy- especially with the coconut milk in there!

IrishLass :)

It really was. I love to find things that are healthy, but they have to taste really good too, or why bother, and this one definitely fit the bill. And the house smells incredible! I went out to get something from the car, and when I came back in, it hit me......mmmmmmmm......I love curry. :)

This sounds like DA BOMB so thanks for posting nav! I've got a ton of butternut squash and didn't want to make soup with all of it. Pretty much have everything else required for your recipe so I'm giving it a shot Fri night when I have the house to myself . . . along with a few batches of soap because I might as well demolish the entire kitchen ;)

Just a note...I realized after re-reading the recipe, that I totally forgot the brown sugar. After tasting it without, I don't think I would add it, but that's up to you. It's really good without.

Good to know about the brown sugar. The only sweet curry I've tried is massaman. My preference is red or vindaloo because I like spicy . . . was actually going to use a whole can of red curry paste plus add more garlic, ginger & lemongrass.

Ooh, this sounds like a lovely winter dish. I just glanced at the title of the thread as I was scrolling through and it caught my eye because I'm pretty sure I have most of the ingredients (or good substitutes) on hand!

I was gearing up to make a lentil stew so I made this with what I had: kabocha squash, leek, celery, green bell pepper, and red onion. I didn't have very much red curry paste left so I used a combination of red & green curry and roasted red pepper paste and added a big tablespoon of brown sugar (I would leave that out next time). The pastes had dried out a bit which made them stronger than normal and the curry ended up pretty hot, so I added some frozen hashed browns and cooked rice to mellow it out a bit.

I usually use Indian curry paste with lentils and beans - I've never tried Thai curry pastes with them so thanks for the recipe! I think next time I will use half red curry paste and half roasted red pepper paste (I love that stuff).

Latest posts

Back