Coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet253

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for using coconut oil over winter? It's one of the main ingredients I use but I always find it goes extremely hard over winter and is tricky to get out the container!

You can place the jar/bucket in the oven at lowest setting, until mostly melted (occasional stirring) – this might take some time. You could then transfer it into plastic bags, each with roughly the typical amount of CO you need in your recipe(s). That way, you don't have to bother even if the oils solidify rock-hard.

My CO76 is dual-use, I store it in the kitchen where it is always warm enough to still be easy to scoop. For my CO92 and PKO, I have melted and cast them into 200 g chocolate bar moulds. Super easy to dose, though the process can be tedious for larger quantities.

I have the same issue living in a land not meant for human habitation -- last week's "highs" were below 0 degrees F. When I start a soaping session, I put the jar next to a heating vent or in a pan of warm water. You use the same weight liquid or solid.

@Zing you're welcome to come and visit me to warm up! We're above freezing today!

1642098802728.png

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for using coconut oil over winter? It's one of the main ingredients I use but I always find it goes extremely hard over winter and is tricky to get out the container!

In all seriousness though; my coconut oil is ALWAYS solid. You can pop the container in the microwave 10 secs at a time, or you can submerge it in warm water for a bit; either on a stove or I usually just pour water from my kettle in a bowl surrounding the container. It melts at such low temps, it doesn't take long.

Or I put it beside my radiator.

I have some large CO and PKO containers. The CO is hard in winter, and PKO is rock-hard all.the.time.

In winter, I place the container right over a heater vent on the floor. During the warmer months when my heater isn't running, and the PKO is still very hard, I wrap my electric heating pad around the bucket and secure it with a bungee cord. It works just like the $100 bucket melters. :) If you have smaller containers, you can set them right on top of the heating pad, too.

I always find it goes extremely hard over winter and is tricky to get out the container!
As soon as it arrives, I melt down hard oils and repackage in 1 lb platic containers for storing on the basement shelves. Like @CreativeWeirdo I nuke it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it's easy to weigh out as much as I need. :thumbs:

August ugh. And then SEPTEMBER. Every August I moan that I'm melting but at least it's almost over and my husband laughs. Because fall begins in September elsewhere, but it's summer for another sweaty miserable month here. You do not want to visit me in August. Hey can I visit y'all in August?

Thanks for all the tips:) I will experiment and see what works best! It's 0.4degrees c this morning so I wouldn't mind visiting @Ugeauxgirl ! 🌞We had a frost overnight so it's very pretty outside but very cold too!!

Latest posts

Back