Coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annmarie0407

Reaction score
I have been searching at our Walmart, & Costco and can not find any coconut oil locally. Does anyone know of a place in the Orange County (ca)area for me to find coconut oil. I have been looking online to have it shipped..but shipping is so expensive.

Annmarie

Here are some soap/candle suppliers listed at Soaper Index for CA: http://usasoap.us/index/index.php?actio ... =20&page=1

You can find it at most health food stores, but it tends to be a bit pricey. Try a google search with coconut oil and your city or Orange County. You may want to consider shipping costs vs tax and driving to pick it up costs. I find it sometimes is cheaper to have items shipped. :D

Digit

It wasn't at Wal-Mart?? Did you look where they have the other cooking oils and lard? It's usually on the top shelf. Can't remember the brand name, but it's a white plastic canister with a green lid. HTH

Did you try the Super Walmart? I ask because only the Super Walmart's in our area sell the coconut oil. You can't find it at any of the regular Walmart's.

IrishLass

Oh, crap. I went to Super Walmart *yesterday* and didn't think of checking! :(

I'm also in FL (S. Fl.). I'll try to look for it next time. thanks for the tip! I pay a bit of a hefty price on Whole Foods for it.

I live in Florida also, and last time I went to walmart to stock up, the price jumped from $6 to 11$ for the 30oz jars. Not that that breaks the bank or anything, but now I think it's cheaper to get it from soaperschoice.

wonder if it was mis marked. i just glanced at ours this week and it was under 7 dollars, like 6.38

i was under the impression that the prices were the same or pretty close at all store because of their buying strategy.

I wish we had a super-walmart......even a regular one would be fine!!! We've got Zellers here and they don't carry coconut oil. The closest walmart is an hour away. I have to get my coconut oil shipped. Can't afford to buy it at the health food shops....its about $30 for a 1/2 pint jar. :shock: Not happening!!!

I was just at my local (AZ) Super Walmart 2 days ago to get some lard and their price on their Luann brand of coconut oil was $5.17. :shock: I remember a year and a half ago when Walmart was only charging $2.97 for it. Ahhh, those were the days (heavy sigh).

Compared to what the healthfood stores are charging, though, $5.17 is a steal, but I can get an even better deal than Walmart by buying in bulk online, and that's including shipping.

But even better than that- I just recently found a local soaping oil supplier that I can buy and do pick-up orders from. WooHoo! Their prices work out to $1.50 a pound. They sell it in 7 lb to 50 lb quantities. I'm just over the moon to have found a local supplier! :D

IrishLass

I used to work at Walmart. They do demographic testing to see how much they can charge in certain areas, and what sells more in what area. The closest Super Walmart to me, is near a posh doctor/lawyer area. Maybe next time I go on a long drive, I'll stop in to check there.

IrishLass said:
I was just at my local (AZ) Super Walmart 2 days ago to get some lard and their price on their Luann brand of coconut oil was $5.17. :shock: I remember a year and a half ago when Walmart was only charging $2.97 for it. Ahhh, those were the days (heavy sigh).

Compared to what the healthfood stores are charging, though, $5.17 is a steal, but I can get an even better deal than Walmart by buying in bulk online, and that's including shipping.

But even better than that- I just recently found a local soaping oil supplier that I can buy and do pick-up orders from. WooHoo! Their prices work out to $1.50 a pound. They sell it in 7 lb to 50 lb quantities. I'm just over the moon to have found a local supplier! :D

IrishLass

LUCKY YOU! I wish I had a local supplier of stuff! I hate waiting! :lol:

Healinya said:
price jumped from $6 to 11$ for the 30oz jars.

That is just nuts. Just 6 months ago it was a tad over $2. Then it jumped to $4.36...and two weeks ago it was over $6. Now it's at $11 :shock:??? At that price, I would not buy it anymore. Fuel costs are coming down,now. I think many places use the rise in fuel costs to raise prices of everything. Notice the rise in costs of the FOs? It's getting too expensive to make soap anymore. Think WM found out about us soapers using the oil to make soap and that was the reason it was moving so fast off of their shelves??? Maybe if the demand goes down, the price will go down. $11 is absolutely ridiculous. I just recently bought 40lbs for $70. I'll never buy it from WM again.

Annmarie0407 said:
I have been searching at our Walmart, & Costco and can not find any coconut oil locally. Does anyone know of a place in the Orange County (ca)area for me to find coconut oil. I have been looking online to have it shipped..but shipping is so expensive.

Annmarie

Smart & Final for sure. Possibly Sam's Club, but not certain.

Suds

Annmarie0407 said:

Annmarie

Smart and Final. Also (as noted elsewhere) Walmart. Apologies if this is a duplicate post. Another post is already showing up with replies, etc.

Suds

I see that the coconut oil in walmart is $5.38 or so. They have really raised their prices. Other items in the store are going down. People arent going to pay a triple price for things. Yes, you are right. It is getting to costly to even make your own soap. I will have to sacrifice in order to continue. I love to do it and my dry skin needs good soap!

Back