coconut oil that is colored

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vitamin A.
It will probably leave some tinge after the lye gets done with it. I read a blog from another soaper that tried to use the vitamin capsules as a dye.

For the price I'm seeing I think I'll make an order just to see. I may end up with a bunch of yellow and orange soap. On the other hand a little mica may end up making some interesting colour combinations.

I use Beta Carotene to color soap frequently. It has no sap value, but gives a lovely sunshiny yellow soap. I just snip the end of the capsule off before squeezing into my oils. Zap with the stickblender a couple of seconds before adding the lye water. I would not hesitate to use that CO if those are the only two ingredients.

TY Susie!
$9.42 a gallon sounds like a good price to me so I'm going to be making soaps with a sunshiny yellow color to them.

http://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php?keyword=coconut+oil&ust=&command=dosearch&new_keyword_search=true

If you're interested. If I buy lots the shipping is free!

Uh, the one you linked says that it makes the popcorn taste buttery, which probably means it has diacetyl added for buttery flavor. (Edit: Nevermind, Amazon came through with actual information on this stuff. No diacetyl.)

How can they sell a food product without at least giving a picture of the nutritional label? Is that even legal, Wayfair?

Last edited:
Uh, the one you linked says that it makes the popcorn taste buttery, which probably means it has diacetyl added for buttery flavor. (Edit: Nevermind, Amazon came through with actual information on this stuff. No diacetyl.)

How can they sell a food product without at least giving a picture of the nutritional label? Is that even legal, Wayfair?

I thought the EXACT same thing and went to amazon and found the same as you did. Should've read your comment first. Good thing it doesn't have any. Diacetyl and soaping would be a bad thing since we loooove to smell our bars. Popcorn lung anyone?

It's beta carotene that also makes red palm oil so orange, but it soaps fine. If you use a high % of it, it adds a kind of pumpkin scent to the finished soap. The color fades over time, so try to keep away from sunlight.

Yeah, I had to go to Amazon too in order to check on what was and wasn't in the jug. A little beta won't hurt but the other "stuff" that comes in some popcorn oils can be nasty.

Asthma can be more than just a little exciting if you don't watch the air around you.:sick:

Oh - do post! What percent of your recipe are planning to use of the CO? I know with the capsules, a little goes a long way, so I would think 20-25% (my normal amounts) would give nice color.

I ordered some household stuff from Wayfair on Black Friday and snuck a jug of the colored CO in there. I'm always up for a bargain so thanks for pointing it out. I've soaped with beta carotene capsules a few times and really like the color it gives. And I've soaped with pureed carrots/juice too (which is a natural source). So I'm really looking forward to one less step in getting a nice orange or yellow color.

As for fragrances to match the color: orange will be nice, with or without a little patchouli (hint hint). The color will also go well with many florals. Just think -- a two month cure will put your batch out in February -- a great time to be reminded that spring is just around the corner :)

Oh - do post! What percent of your recipe are planning to use of the CO? I know with the capsules, a little goes a long way, so I would think 20-25% (my normal amounts) would give nice color.

As for fragrances to match the color: orange will be nice, with or without a little patchouli (hint hint). The color will also go well with many florals. Just think -- a two month cure will put your batch out in February -- a great time to be reminded that spring is just around the corner :)

I need to go out and get some lard in the morning. I knew I was forgetting something when we went to town today:?.
I'll post the recipe along with the pictures when I cut. DW and I both like CO so I'll be running a bit heavy for lot's of the soapers here - around 30%. At first it was a bit too cleansing but after the 6-8 week cure time it mellows out and make suds so well that a little goes a long way!

I now have a good "excuse" to make a couple batches this week. Hehehe.:twisted:

I haven't specifically tried a 30% CO bar, but I've done several 25's and apparently am not sensitive to that level. I haven't upped my superfat (from 5%), either. I can't remember the last time I've put lotion on anywhere other than my hands, and it's been forever since having a dry skin itching fit. But I'm anxious to see how this winter goes, since I've moved from a coastal to an interior/continental climate. I do have a humidifier running in the house (to ameliorate the effects of the constantly burning wood stove), so that might give me an edge. But I'm kind of curious how high I could go on CO (and bubbles!) before having to back down.

Anyway, I hope you get your lard tomorrow -- and a beautiful colored soap!

Got mine a couple days ago and it's pretty variegated - like it partially melted and re-solidified. I can't decide whether to melt the whole thing and stir so the color is homogeneous, or just let it fly. This will almost certainly be used for salt bars @100 CO. Got a few more things in the pipeline first, though, so no hurry.

BG mine was frozen solid and took 20 hours near the wood stove to thaw.

Okay here's the recipe:
Castor 10%
CO 30%
Lard 20%
OO, Pomace 20%
GV Shortening 20%

Ran a 12% SF and replaced half the water with coconut milk.
The first picture is at partial gel ( in progress) so you can see what the color would be without the heat from the oven. Second is full on gel.

DW saw the first batch and asked for vanilla and sherbet.:)
Here's the vanilla and orange sherbet.
She (DW) wanted a solid CO with a high SF so that's what she gets. Should be ready around Valentine's Day.

I'll post when I cut too so I can get advice from the experts.

DSCF1613.jpg

DSCF1618.jpg

DSCF1617.jpg

DSCF1616.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookin' good!

Bet mine will be frozen solid too. It's been just above 0 F here.

George, I challenge you to use it in more than just salt bars. A yellow base can be pretty in any soap, not to mention yellow + blue = green, yellow + red = orange :)

Back