coconut oil that is colored

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for something in old threads I came across this one. Sixteen months later, I still haven't used up all the colored oil - and I've made a lot of soap in the meantime. The color from a 20% contribution is just SO limiting, that I often ignore it and use white coconut oil instead. I've never been able to cover the yellow or mix anything with it successfully, and the yellow does NOT fade for me. I've got about a pound left and hopefully I'll finish it up in a batch of salt bars this weekend. I'll make a last-ditch attempt at green with some blue mica, but I'm not optimistic.

The reason I resurrected this thread was to add the recommendation not to buy this stuff to anybody who might find the thread in the future. Yes, it functions just fine, but you're going to get really tired of yellow and orange soaps really quickly, and that is a HUGE jug.

I was thinking about this today (because what else am I going to do while in waiting rooms?)

If you make 2lb batches, you can have one white and one orange, and do things like pumpkin pie or other color swirls (assuming the orange doesn't bleed.

If you can take advantage of the orange with compatible pigments.. You could also add black (activated charcoal) and brown (oil infused with Tumeric maybe?) to the orange base, and do a tiger stripe for this month's soap challenge.. Or make a wood grain soap by darkening it. Possibly separate it into three, one with red and the other with white (titanium dioxide might give you a nice yellow), and do a 'phoenix' butterfly swirl.

Or black and orange for a mantra swirl, or a teardrop.. https://youtu.be/Ogfq8EG2up8

You could also use it for fragrance testing.. Or anything with Vanilla (if the vanilla will helpfully turn it brown)

Update: Orange compatible fragrances are obviously the citrus, lemon meringue, orange cream, lemonade, apricot, mimosa, peaches and cream, daffodil.. . But if you can do additions with color on the darker spectrum, it opens up wood scents as well as exotics like nag champa, dragon's blood, Sandalwood and amber, brambleberrys spicy mahogany, cedar and leather, Bourbon and tobacco..

I may have had a lot of time to think about this. I might not be helping..

Last edited:
Back