coconut oil that is colored

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And cut. After I cut the orange/vanilla I realized I cut it wrong. I'm prone to doing things like that while learning.

DSCF1623.jpg

DSCF1620.jpg

That's pretty good color Steve. Oh, the possibilities!

Why did you say you cut it wrong? Would the pattern have been better horizontally?

I did cut horizontal for the bars.

If I would have cut blocks on the horizontal I could have stood them on end and had vertical cuts showing more pattern. The 100% coconut in the orange / vanilla is really hot and wants to gel spontaneously though ( soap on a stick hot ) so there probably wasn't much difference in this case. The pattern I laid down sure isn't what I cut. Jan wants coconut bars so she gets them.:silent:

Now this is interesting.

I melted this last night about midnight. As of now, it's still almost completely liquid like 16 hours later. It's sitting in my 70F kitchen.

That is interesting, George. I'm aware of the tendency for high CO soaps to gel like Steve just said, but the idea that a whole jug of 76 deg CO will hold heat at lower ambient temps is new to me. Pretty cool - or should I say hot!

Made a quick version of the ladies' soap for the house on Saturday and thought I'd try this oil. The recipe is 20% CO.

This color is INTENSE. I have to say that I don't think that anything made with this oil will ever be anything but orange. I mean, I could probably get black/brown by adding an opposing labcolor, but that ORANGE will dominate. I added the rose clay that I normally use in this soap (which makes a warm pink) and just ended up with a slightly redder, more opaque orange.

This soap uses BB's Cherry Blossom, so it doesn't really "match." It will be fine for our own showers, but I do like things to compliment when possible, so I will stick with "orange-y" scents going forward. I have some 10X Orange EO coming which I'll use with this, and a bit of Flower Child from a sample that might make nice salt bars. We'll see after that, but this is A LOT of orange oil...

In retrospect, I think I would rather have spent the $13 for the uncolored oil to keep color options open. I'll use this up, but I for sure won't be buying more.

It may fade. I've got some soap that I colored with beta carotene that I made in April. I colored it a vivid yellow (it's a lemony scented soap) and that has faded to a very very pale yellow, as in barely not white.

ETA: Another option is to do some pumpkin scents and add some Moroccan red clay to get a pumpkin-y color.

Here's hoping!

High water and gelling will get it to be yellow so you can use that info to create some other colours and combos. With just a cold process it will look like cheddar cheese by itself in a few weeks. There are lots of possible tints that I see coming out of the oil. It does have it's drawbacks though.

With the folded orange you will still want to use something to help set the fragrance too. ( Just don't forget I know you know).

Looking for something in old threads I came across this one. Sixteen months later, I still haven't used up all the colored oil - and I've made a lot of soap in the meantime. The color from a 20% contribution is just SO limiting, that I often ignore it and use white coconut oil instead. I've never been able to cover the yellow or mix anything with it successfully, and the yellow does NOT fade for me. I've got about a pound left and hopefully I'll finish it up in a batch of salt bars this weekend. I'll make a last-ditch attempt at green with some blue mica, but I'm not optimistic.

The reason I resurrected this thread was to add the recommendation not to buy this stuff to anybody who might find the thread in the future. Yes, it functions just fine, but you're going to get really tired of yellow and orange soaps really quickly, and that is a HUGE jug.

I still have orange laundry soap.
Even using color blends I have found this difficult to use up.

I learned from this "mistake". I will use this up before the end of this year in the laundry, but it was one of those deals that seemed too good to be true when I stumbled on it. Shoulda seen the orange flag pop up.

:headbanging:

I still have orange laundry soap.
Even using color blends I have found this difficult to use up.

I learned from this "mistake". I will use this up before the end of this year in the laundry, but it was one of those deals that seemed too good to be true when I stumbled on it. Shoulda seen the orange flag pop up.

:headbanging:

I've actually used a lot of it for cooking. Make Fried Rice with this stuff and it comes out yellow like from a Chinese restaurant. Once I used it specifically for the color when I only had white corn meal in the house and I wanted to make cornbread without answering stupid questions about it being white. Worked perfectly. :mrgreen: Makes for a very golden, buttery-looking pie crust, too.

Latest posts

Back