Coconut oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so I went down the rabbit hole...

I make coconut oil salt soaps and they are my most favorite soap 100% + 20% like everybody else. I don't even sell them cause I want them all for myself LOL. Seriously, my aunt asked me for soaps and ALL of me wanted to send her one of my salt bars, but ALL of me also said nooooo...you only have 9 left LOL. Just out of curiosity I was wondering about salt soap sans the salt.

Will a coconut bar with 20% superfat be nice as well? Or is it the salt that seals the deal?

I recently made 100% shea butter, and was pleasantly surprised. I probably wont do them again because the bubble factor is not so good. They really feel nice, but I think customers would be disappointed with the low bubble/lotion feel. Maybe for facial bars, I dunno. They lather up pretty good in your hands, but trying to use them in the shower is disappointing.

I did a search here, but mostly came up with salt bars. I did a google search, and came up with a bunch of moms that make soaps and post their recipe, blogs. The last blog I visited had a bunch of replies that screamed to not follow this persons advice LOL

I mainly went down this rabbit hole because my ts mold is currently occupied by my probably failed 3rd attempt at straight lines LOL. Its still too soft to unmold in case anybody has been following my saga. And nobody is really posting here tonight as of yet, so I got bored. And I had been wondering about a 20% superfat coconut oil soap without the salt.

SO...if I did an all-coconut bar, can I do it in a standard or ts mold? Or would it get too hard to cut like a salt bar does? Would it be a good soap?

My very first handcrafted soap was 100% CO HP with 20% SF. That's all I made for a few years. We used it for washing our bodies and our hair. While my hair did just fine with that, my husband's eventually did not, and eventually I learned that many people can't use soap on their hair. But at the time, I absolutely loved it. I gave a lot to friends who also loved it. One friend still makes that as the only soap her family uses.

Today I prefer my high-lard soaps, but if I ran out of lard, I'd consider going back to 100% CO with the high SF. There is something fun about a one-oil soap, and the pure white CO bars are quite pretty, too.

Seriously, my aunt asked me for soaps and ALL of me wanted to send her one of my salt bars, but ALL of me also said nooooo...you only have 9 left LOL.
Smack Laugh.gif
Smack Laugh.gif
Smack Laugh.gif

I had been wondering about a 20% superfat coconut oil soap without the salt.
Ditto what @AliOop said. I know a soaper gal who made them for her teenagers acne. Looooong cure! 1 year, as I recall. Go for it! ;) :thumbs:
I recently made 100% shea butter, and was pleasantly surprised. I probably wont do them again because the bubble factor is not so good.
I'm addicted to my 67% shea butter soap sample in the soap dish at the sink. That's the one (of 6) I always seem to go for. You could do 70% shea + 30% coconut, no worries... or throw in 5% castor just for fun! :D

100% coconut oil soap (20% superfat) is one of my fave soaps. I like to make it using coconut water (from the middle of a coconut, you can get it in cans) and dessicated coconut for a bit of exfoliation, so it is near enough 100% coconut apart from the sodium hydroxide. It is sooo white! But some people find it drying to the skin and as coconut oil is very soluble in water it doesn' t last as long as some soaps despite being rock hard. I use single cell moulds, I have never tried to cut it from a loaf.

One benefit of coconut oil soap apparently is that it can be used effectively in sea water, so people who sail appreciate it, which is presumably why it is so good for salt soaps too.

Latest posts

Back