Coconut Oil Soap - Too hard at trace !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saqqa

Reaction score
Hi,
I made a pure coconut-oil soap. Once I started mixing with the LYE SOLUTION, it started becoming HARD LIQUID. Is this normal ? There was no need to mixing or find trace as it got hard once it mixed.

Was my coconutoil not pure ?
Or my lye wasnt cold enough ? What exactly could be the reason.

RECIPE I USED-
OIL 500 grams
LYE 85 grams
WATER 190ml

Did you stick blend or stir by hand? With a hard oil like coconut oil, trace will be fast. Where did you buy the coconut oil?

How hot was your lye solution? The warmer you soap, the faster it traces. It will set up really fast and possibly volcano in the mold if you soap too hot with 100% CO, so it's better to start with a lye solution that has cooled down.

I agree with Earlene. Also use more water in a mostly or 100% coconut recipe to slow things down -- 28% lye concentration works better.

In my experience, this type of soap traces fast, gets quite hot in the mold, and often cracks if I use a lye concentration of 31% or higher (which is about what the original poster is using).

Also, if the free fatty acid content in the fat is fairly high, that can also cause the soap batter to trace very fast and set up really quick.

Do you use any scent? It almost sounds like it started to seize. I make 100% coconut soap with fairly hot lye solution and it never traces fast. It does heat up like mad in the mold though.

Latest posts

Back